Is it ok to walk in London with an "ISIS" flag?

It is disappointing that the police didn't arrest the man because supporting a banned group (which IS is) is illegal. However, what is even more disappointing is that it didn't cause public outrage... he should have been confronted and challenged.

We have become too tolerant, too scared and hide our cowardice by pretending we are good citizens deferring matters for the authorities to handle. It is embarrassing.

Or maybe people saw him for what he was, someone who was looking for a reaction.

I for one would defend the right of a Muslim to display an ISIS flag if he is so inclined.

It is illegal to support a banded terrorist group like IS and flying their colours is a clear show of support. You don't really think people should have a right to openly promote and support terrorism do you?

It is illegal to support a banded terrorist group like IS and flying their colours is a clear show of support. You don't really think people should have a right to openly promote and support terrorism do you?

On reflection, I suppose an IS flag is going too far.

I would however object strongly to a ban on flags etc encouraging support for a Caliphate in general.

EDIT: On reflection I've withdrawn this comment below. There's a difference between supporting the idea of a Caliphate and supporting IS.

I for one would defend the right of a Muslim to display an ISIS flag if he is so inclined. I would expect 5 to keep an eye on him though. I also reserve the right to assert that he's a bad person for doing so.

Once again you're not on strong ground. Quran burnings are extremely rare and never supported by our leaders. Where as western flag burnings are extremely common, often supported by leading Muslims, and we take no aggressive action to stop them.

We may say that people shouldn't burn our flags, but we never threaten to use violence or law to stop them.

I would certainly concede that there are significant elements in western society who show unfair and shameful intolerance toward muslims, and I'm very sorry about that.

However, if you're trying to tell us that Muslims are as a whole more tolerant of non-muslims than we are of them, I'm going to have to call bullcrap.[/QUOTE]

my bold=

I'm not trying to tell you that Muslims are as a whole more tolerant of non Muslims so I don't know how you have arrived at that conclusion.

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 13:09 ----------

I've always defended EVERYONES right to freely express themselves. It is you who wants to forcibly silence others.

I'm standing by my post you quoted, it's not my fault you don't understand the point I'm making.

I'm not trying to tell you that Muslims are as a whole more tolerant of non Muslims so I don't know how you have arrived at that conclusion.

I'm standing by my post you quoted, it's not my fault you don't understand the point I'm making.

Some clarification would be helpful.

You've complained a lot of hypocrisy and double standards. Without really backing it up.

Maybe I've missed it. But who on here has stated or hinted that EDL should be allowed to march, but that Muslims should not? Who has suggested that Muslims should be allowed any less rights than anyone else?

In regards to the isis flag guy,i personally find it offensive and very likely to incite a breach of the peace and cause unrest.

Only if someone takes it upon themselves to make a massive issue out of it. Its a flag, a piece of cloth with no real meaning. Getting upset is just pointless.

On reflection, I suppose an IS flag is going too far.

I would however object strongly to a ban on flags etc encouraging support for a Caliphate in general.

I would agree with that... I'm not a fan of banning things but promoting an out-and-out murderous terrorist group has to cross a line. Why didn't any members of the public challenge him? We need to toughen up.

Some clarification would be helpful.

You've complained a lot of hypocrisy and double standards. Without really backing it up.

Maybe I've missed it. But who on here has stated or hinted that EDL should be allowed to march, but that Muslims should not? Who has suggested that Muslims should be allowed any less rights than anyone else?

When the Soldiors in Luton were on a homecoming parade and some Muslims were holding placards denouncing them as baby killers and some decided to burn Poppy's I didn't see many people saying they had a right to be offensive under freedom of speech/expression.

That to me is double standards and hypocrisy= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-antiwar-protesters-abuse-troops-1642232.html

Poppy burners incident= http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/nov/12/arrested-poppy-burning-beware-tyranny-decency

Edited by mafya

Only if someone takes it upon themselves to make a massive issue out of it. Its a flag, a piece of cloth with no real meaning. Getting upset is just pointless.

The flag is a symbol and has real meaning just the same as words (just noises) do. Getting upset about people supporting a murderous, intolerant group is not pointless... it is essential.