Microsft software support - scam?

madowl

0114 2439xxx numbers belong to a company called TTNC Limited, they can sell you a virtual landline number, so you can phone from anywhere in the world and appear as a local call.

Their T&Cs allow them to cancel service if:

12.1.8 TTNC has reason to believe the Services are being ordered or are being used in an unlawful, fraudulent or improper manner;

I must admit I liked Philli Busters answer to the fraudsters. You don't need to be politically correct to these people.

Anyway, especially for the older folks on fixed incomes who cannot afford to lose any money, here is my take. My approach to anyone soliciting on the phone, is to say "I do not do any business over the phone with people or companies I don't know. If you have a proposal for me, send it through the post." If they ask for your address tell them to get from the same place they got your phone number !

More importantly, never make a financial decision "Right now" as if its an emergency. It can wait. Always take the time to review it with a friend first. Or bring it to the Forum ?

Had one of these numbers today. An 0114 number with only six following digits - obviously dodgy on the display.

Picked up, and before they could reply I said "I've done what you wanted but there is blood EVERYWHERE!"

stunned silence.....

Eventually caller asks just what is going on, and there was then a little verbal fencing as he tried to figure out what I'd done. Eventually the poor PPI/scam/compo rep range off convinced he was into a gangland hit and I'd be coming after him....

One of these days I will get the police asking me just what on earth is going on, but until then I'll waste their time like they waste mine, with interest added...

One of the best ways to get rid of them (so I am told) is to pretend they have rung a crime scene. Ask if they knew the deceased, as they have phoned it alarms them immediately. Ask for their names and address to scare them even more as you will have to visit them and ask some searching questions about their knowledge of the deceased. By this time the phone call WILL have been ended, leaving a very worried caller on the other end.

Angel1.

One of the best ways to get rid of them (so I am told) is to pretend they have rung a crime scene. Ask if they knew the deceased, as they have phoned it alarms them immediately. Ask for their names and address to scare them even more as you will have to visit them and ask some searching questions about their knowledge of the deceased. By this time the phone call WILL have been ended, leaving a very worried caller on the other end.

Angel1.

I'm going to have to try that one next time :-)

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon, from a man who sounded East European. He claimed to be from Microsoft and told me they had been receiving messages from my computer that it was heavily infected with powerful viruses and Trojans that I would be passing on to other computers via emails. He asked me to turn my computer on so he could talk me through the procedure for removing them. I didn't, pointing out to him that I had no way if knowing if the call was genuine and he could be anybody calling from anywhere. He protested that it was a genuine call, but I put the phone down.

Is it likely that Microsoft would phone individuals in this manner?