Microsft software support - scam?

madowl

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon, from a man who sounded East European. He claimed to be from Microsoft and told me they had been receiving messages from my computer that it was heavily infected with powerful viruses and Trojans that I would be passing on to other computers via emails. He asked me to turn my computer on so he could talk me through the procedure for removing them. I didn't, pointing out to him that I had no way if knowing if the call was genuine and he could be anybody calling from anywhere. He protested that it was a genuine call, but I put the phone down.

Is it likely that Microsoft would phone individuals in this manner?

It's a scam I had similar but it was a guy with an Asian accent and he got quite aggressive when I declined him access to my pc. I put the down & he called back several times so I blocked the number. It was an 020 (London) number.

He claimed to be from Microsoft and told me they had been receiving messages from my computer that it was heavily infected with powerful viruses and Trojans / Is it likely that Microsoft would phone individuals in this manner?

100% scam.

Ask yourself two simple questions - How would Microsoft be receiving messages from your computer, and how would they know your phone number to ring you?!

You did the right thing - you put the phone down.

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon, from a man who sounded East European. He claimed to be from Microsoft and told me they had been receiving messages from my computer that it was heavily infected with powerful viruses and Trojans that I would be passing on to other computers via emails. He asked me to turn my computer on so he could talk me through the procedure for removing them. I didn't, pointing out to him that I had no way if knowing if the call was genuine and he could be anybody calling from anywhere. He protested that it was a genuine call, but I put the phone down.

Is it likely that Microsoft would phone individuals in this manner?

Have a bit of fun(!) with them. Tell them your computer is upstairs and you can't walk very well, I'll go upstairs but I might be a while, go and make yourself a cup of tea then come back and tell them right I'm sat at my computer, just give me a minute etc.etc.

Keep them hanging on with every excuse, them say to them 'd'ya think I'm stupid?' D'ya honestly think I'd do that etc.etc.

I just love playing with them :hihi:

Oh dear, think I'd better get a life lol :thumbsup::D

Have a bit of fun(!) with them. Tell them your computer is upstairs and you can't walk very well, I'll go upstairs but I might be a while, go and make yourself a cup of tea then come back and tell them right I'm sat at my computer, just give me a minute etc.etc.

Keep them hanging on with every excuse, them say to them 'd'ya think I'm stupid?' D'ya honestly think I'd do that etc.etc.

I just love playing with them :hihi:

Oh dear, think I'd better get a life lol :thumbsup::D

Trouble with this response is that if one of your relatives or friends is trying to ring you they are being held up !

Just off the top, Solomon1, I would suggest getting the offending machine to someone who knows what they are doing, because, with respect, you don't - and it does sound as if some kind of remedial work is required.

Because I have used him, and know he knows what he's doing, I suggest MoZaLan off this forum.

This is his site: http://www.byteitltd.co.uk/

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 14:15 ----------

Those 'errors' are more than likely nothing to be concerned about, M$ records lots of little system hiccups as 'errors' or 'warnings', but they can be safely ignored.

Yes grt it Mozed stop messing about do you service your car yourself :hihi:

I had one yesterday from "Kevin",said BT would be disconnecting my internet as my computer was sending bad files,strung him on a bit then when he asked about my computer I said I only used an iPad and mobile for internet access...after a long silence he then said that BT would fix the problem from their end and hung up...lol