What effect has greece had on your decision to leave euro?

Why not? It was contiguous when I last checked.

I've looked today again at http://denmark.dk/en/quick-facts/map-of-denmark/ and- yes- its southern boundary is with Germany.

But, the capital is on a separate island to the mainland. So would you say that part of Denmark is part of Europe and part of it isn't? Or is part of your criteria for a country to have a land border with mainland Europe?

If so wouldn't that confuse things with Turkey as they've got a contiguous land border with Mainland Europe, but nobody would say that Turkey was completely in Europe.

I'd suggest rather than inventing ways that we could move the UK away from Europe, and confusing matters. Why can't we accept the conventional view, that the UK sits on the European continental plate and as such it's part of Europe?

This debate is getting rather silly.

I wholeheartedly agree. But unfortunately many of the arguments proposed do seem to end up pretending that we're not part of Europe because - like many other parts of Europe - we're on an island, or else saying how much better off we would be out of the EU on the basis that we can imagine that we either have a huge oil surplus, or else a monopoly on cuckoo clocks, safeguarding Nazi gold and doing security in silly outfits at the Vatican. Then we can sit back and naively assume the continued existence of the EU, without us, giving us the security that we will need.

But, the capital is on a separate island to the mainland. So would you say that part of Denmark is part of Europe and part of it isn't? Or is part of your criteria for a country to have a land border with mainland Europe?
I'm gonna wait and see how Jeffrey handles the UK's land border with the ROI ;):D

I feel I have more in common with the citizens of France, Denmark and Italy than with those in the US or China.

Perhaps the EU has simply gotten too big and unwieldy?

Greece has never historically been considered to be "Europe".

Likewise Cyprus and Malta.

With 7 other applicants wanting to join the EU, the number of discordant vested interests can only grow.

Greece has never historically been considered to be "Europe".

That would be rather ironic, considering it is considered the seat of European civilisation and indeed it was the Greeks that named Europe "Europa"...

Not sure where your comment is coming from, I suspect you are confused due to the Ottoman period, in which case you should probably realise that the Ottomans controlled the entire Balkan all the way to Vienna at one stage.

Easy: RoI is not part of the said continent.

But it is in the EU. It joined when the UK did.

And it might well leave when the UK does.

So, now you're back. Copenhagen - is it part of Europe, or separate from Europe?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Easy: RoI is not part of the said continent.

But it is in the EU. It joined when the UK did.

And it might well leave when the UK does.

It makes absolutely zero sense to suggest that continents have to be physically contiguous but countries do not.

Can we please get back to fact that the EU is run by a bunch of lying numpties and we should run away before they foul up our economy the way they have with several of their own.