What effect has greece had on your decision to leave euro?

Easy: RoI is not part of the said continent.

But it is in the EU. It joined when the UK did.

And it might well leave when the UK does.

You're missing the analogue which L00b was referring to. You claim that Denmark is part of Europe (that much is correct) because it has a border with Germany. Yet much of it, including Copenhagen is not on the contiguous landmass which has the Germany border. The United Kingdom has a similar relation to the "landmass" Ireland.

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 17:35 ----------

Can we please get back to fact that the EU is run by a bunch of lying numpties and we should run away before they foul up our economy the way they have with several of their own.

That's funny - I assumed the whole idea was that we had some debate rather than unilateral demands that everyone agrees with you.

Yet you're missing the point of the thread. The UK should leave the crumbling EU edifice before it falls in on us too.

Fair enough, but I was responding to your claim that the UK isn't part of Europe.

Europe is a continent (or most of a continent).

GB is an island- so it's part of no continent.

I agree that Jeffrey's point about European geography makes no sense; but the issue is that it seems to be one of the key points which he, and some others on your side of the debate unbeliever, employ to try and convince people that we shouldn't be part of the EU. Maybe you'd be better off having a quiet word in private with him, suggesting that he doesn't embarrass you all and harm your cause.

It makes absolutely zero sense to suggest that continents have to be physically contiguous but countries do not.

Can we please get back to fact that the EU is run by a bunch of lying numpties and we should run away before they foul up our economy the way they have with several of their own.

No surprise Sir Jeff is with you on that, problem is... it isn't true. The EU is outperforming the UK.

No surprise Sir Jeff is with you on that, problem is... it isn't true. The EU is outperforming the UK.

Sneaky using facts to try and make a case. Still it works better if you get them right:

UK growth for 2014 was 3.2%.

Germany was 1.5%

France was 0.4%

Belgium was 1.0%

Spain was 1.3%

Italy was -0.2%

Greece was 0.6%

In fact I can't find a single €Z state which outperformed the UK, or even got close.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

Oops!

Also, Germany has a slightly lower unemployment rate than the UK. As far as I can see every other member of the €Z is doing worse. Several over 10% vs the UK's 5.6%. Greece at over 25%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

Anybody still want to join the European Unemployment and Recession Organisation?

I've got more:

The €zone total unemployment rate in November 2013 (most recent I can find) was 10.9%, and the total EU growth rate for 2014 was ~1.3%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union

Do I win now?

Edited by unbeliever
More facts. I like facts.

My understanding of the EU was to trade as in the 'common market' and not to be ruled by Brussels which successive governments have failed to address - both Labour and Tories at fault here.

We are paying in millions of pounds a day for what exactly? to keep countries who have a dreadful infrastructure afloat, Greece being one, Cyprus, Portugal, ROI being a few more and Spain looking like it may go under as well. At the end of the day they've got themselves in the poo so really they should get themselves out of it without boo hooing. Yet the NHS is in crisis amongst other issues. We always seem to have money for illegal immigrants yet nothing for the people who were born here....

How many people voted at the last election for UKIP? not enough obviously

We can still trade with the EU without putting in millions of taxpayers money and getting nothing back from it.

So in reply Greece should sort out their own problems before demanding bailouts. If they don't pay proper tax that's their problem not ours and we shouldn't be paying them off

My understanding of the EU was to trade as in the 'common market' and not to be ruled by Brussels which successive governments have failed to address - both Labour and Tories at fault here.

We are paying in millions of pounds a day for what exactly? to keep countries who have a dreadful infrastructure afloat, Greece being one, Cyprus, Portugal, ROI being a few more and Spain looking like it may go under as well. At the end of the day they've got themselves in the poo so really they should get themselves out of it without boo hooing. Yet the NHS is in crisis amongst other issues. We always seem to have money for illegal immigrants yet nothing for the people who were born here....

How many people voted at the last election for UKIP? not enough obviously

We can still trade with the EU without putting in millions of taxpayers money and getting nothing back from it.

So in reply Greece should sort out their own problems before demanding bailouts. If they don't pay proper tax that's their problem not ours and we shouldn't be paying them off

I can explain that. They were lying.

Still I'm sure they must be telling the truth this time when they say that we have to stay in or bad things will happen.

Just because somebody lies to you repeatedly is surely no reason to think they'll do it again. :rolleyes:

Sneaky using facts to try and make a case. Still it works better if you get them right:

UK growth for 2014 was 3.2%.

Germany was 1.5%

France was 0.4%

Belgium was 1.0%

Spain was 1.3%

Italy was -0.2%

Greece was 0.6%

In fact I can't find a single €Z state which outperformed the UK, or even got close.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

Oops!

Also, Germany has a slightly lower unemployment rate than the UK. As far as I can see every other member of the €Z is doing worse. Several over 10% vs the UK's 5.6%. Greece at over 25%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

Anybody still want to join the European Unemployment and Recession Organisation?

I've got more:

The €zone total unemployment rate in November 2013 (most recent I can find) was 10.9%, and the total EU growth rate for 2014 was ~1.3%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union

Do I win now?

2014? Now try since the start of the Euro. Have fun!