Am I still allowed to question climate change?

Don't panic ... I'm still looking for reliable sources for what's happening to the the gulf stream ... but I'm just finding loadsa questionable stuff.

Let's stick to "weather" for now ... unless someone has some "meaty" real scientific observations on this?

:hihi: it's still weather. :hihi: :hihi: http://eo.ucar.edu/basics/ :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: (?) :loopy:

OMG maybe it's NOT weather after all. Maybe this IS GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE, malky ... From convert's link ...

"The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years"

See my post 2104 http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6938851&postcount=2104

"The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) ... concluded that there is more than a 90 per cent chance that the MOC [Meridional Ocean Circulation or Gulf Stream] will weaken gradually over the 21st century in response to increasing greenhouse gases. "

"Some scenarios suggest that with further climate change, the MOC could ‘shut down’. If this were to happen, average temperatures in the UK would drop by about four degrees centigrade."

http://www.idea.gov.uk/idk/core/page.do?pageId=9574626

But,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8589512.stm

If you aren't stupid why do you have such difficulty telling the difference between Mayan apocalypse predictions and scientific predictions?

I was referring to the way climate change is discussed (ha ha) in ways that resemble a religion ie believers,sceptics,no absolute proof of it's existence etc etc.... reminds me of the Inquisition's method of dealing with heretics...

They? Would that be journalists or scientists?

Both...

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

Now we are told (correctly) that "snow" is weather. But when there is no snow, we were told its "climate change." No wonder many people think its nonsense when they keep moving the goalposts.

I was referring to the way climate change is discussed (ha ha) in ways that resemble a religion ie believers,sceptics,no absolute proof of it's existence etc etc.... reminds me of the Inquisition's method of dealing with heretics...

Except for the fact that the demand for absolute proof is not a scientific demand. Science doesn't deal in absolute proofs, demanding it of science is like going to a greengrocer's and asking for a hair cut.

As for witch hunts... the only ones I have noticed is the one this thread is about, the attempt to destroy the lives of diligent respectable scientists based on passages from stolen emails taken out of their context.

It is not a witch hunt to criticise someone like Monckton for being a "snake oil salesman" when he comes out with stuff shown to be intentionally misleading time and time again.

Both...

Now we are told (correctly) that "snow" is weather. But when there is no snow, we were told its "climate change." No wonder many people think its nonsense when they keep moving the goalposts.

Which goal posts have moved?

So far as I can see criticising people for what they have said about the UK's weather is not a criticism or relevant when looking at climate change or global warming, and is where the goal posts are being moved around. Something that is undoubtably happening. You just have to look at the falling extent and volume of arctic ice to see that. Although if you want further evidence there was a study done listing somewhere in the region of 25,000 proxies all showing the climate is warming at an alarming rate.