Am I still allowed to question climate change?

Hello everyone

It was impossible to read everything you guys wrote, but just a quick not from me, as I am studying environment right now.

When we talk about climate change and its reality, we cannot jump to a wrong and biased conclusion just because we have colder weather all of a sudden.We must look at the whole planet and check the temperatures at all times of the year.Then we must look at rain patterns and many other factors.

So, just to let you know, sudden drops in temperatures and other unexplainable phenomena such as snow in deserts, tornadoes where they are not meant to happen, change in rain patterns and so on, are just consequences of global warming.

Now, many of you said it is normal for the climate to change.I absolutely agree with you, but it is only normal to happen very rarely.Int he history of the Earth, climate change has happened due to some catastrophic events, such as eruption of man volcanoes, where huge quantities of CO2 were thrown into the atmosphere, thus blocking the sunlight and causing the planet to enter an ice age. It happened quite few times but nowadays it happens due to our industrialized world. Measurements indicate the quantity of CO2 in the air is higher than ever before, and we have measurements for this for the past 50 years.Data has been collected in Hawaii, because that place, 50 years ago was very remote and unpolluted. This is only one example of genuine research.

What I want to say to all skeptics out there is this: if you do not want to believe in climate change that's fine, but if the climate change is happening due to humans than your efforts will not be in vain, and if it is not happening at all then still they are not in vain because they will prevent it. And please do not let ourselves deceived by biased informations, always find a reliable source from someone who actually has sound knowledge about the problem.

Edited by AlexandraS

It seems to me that it is you that is scraping the bottom of the barrel when you are knowingly using a source that you know cannot be trusted to report Climate change papers fairly.

Compare from your article:

With what the scientist said:

Where I explained to you the Register's deceipt just a few pages ago:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7021930&highlight=register#post7021930

and again here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7028625&postcount=2234

Citing the register on a Climate Change issue when you know it has been misleading before really is scraping the barrel.

Well if you don't like the register how about the telegraph,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/8213058/The-man-who-repeatedly-beats-the-Met-Office-at-its-own-game.html

Slightly changing the direction of this thread, why did the Met Office predict a "warmer than average winter"

Basically it's in their interest to keep saying it's getting warmer.

And he says its going to get worse........

Again, he's got a line and he's sticking to it.

You can't trust any of them because basically none of them have the algorithms or computational capabilities to predict more than a couple of days ahead with any certainty. As has been proven time and time again.

As you know full well because I pointed it out less than a page ago they run false stories about climate change, where they refuse to make corrections even when the author of the report complains.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7036259&postcount=2289

O/T Just a quick aside to Longcol. who said that other than a few posters on a small forum; nobody was intereted in this.

Well this thread just entered the top 10 in general discussions.

Before anyone says that it's because of the multiple views that the dedicated posters on this thread have made, just check the thread and then check it again. The number of views don't go up each time you look at the thread. They increase when new viewers look at it.

O/T Just a quick aside to Longcol. who said that other than a few posters on a small forum; nobody was intereted in this.

Well this thread just entered the top 10 in general discussions.

Before anyone says that it's because of the multiple views that the dedicated posters on this thread have made, just check the thread and then check it again. The number of views don't go up each time you look at the thread. They increase when new viewers look at it.

2 points: Firstly, they do go up if you use different IP addresses, for example looking at home and at work, or on two different computers at home.

And secondly, this thread has been running for over a year, as a result it's bound to have way more views than an average thread.

For example two places above it in the top 10 is a thread about tasteful tattoos, that got more views despite only being active for a few days for some bizzare reason.

I check back on this thread every now and then but I don't really get involved or read any of the substantative posts anymore, just watching a bit of drama. I imagine the same is true for many other posters.

• 2 weeks later...

People are clump round their gas fire and their properties which are constructed for hot weather then what happened to Spain’s mild temperate weather? Last winter as it appeared to be not much different and we don’t expect to see on the car windscreen in early march in the cold places.

I'd sugest that fence sitters have a read of this.

http://bos.sagepub.com/content/67/1/9.full

One possible outcome of the current stalemate is that advocates of climate change policies will rethink their reliance on cap-and-trade techniques in favor of carbon taxation. The case for carbon taxes was discussed above. One further hope for climate change legislation comes from a most unanticipated source: the need to curb the growing budget deficits in many high-income countries. Along with most other high-income countries, the United States faces a major increase in government debt relative to GDP. A report by the Congressional Budget Office in June 2010 estimated that the debt–GDP ratio will be between 65 percent and 72 percent in 2015 under alternative assumptions about the baseline fiscal policy. The debt ratio is increasing rapidly as a result of the collapse of revenues in the current extended downturn, as well as stimulus programs.

An important source of revenues to reduce the future budget deficit would be a carbon tax.

Get your wallets out, they want to tax us more, and more and more...

More common sense from Paul Hudson over at the BBC; a voice of reason in a (rising) sea of vested pension interests...

On BBC Look North on friday I reported that during the recent intense cold weather, it's been our traditional coal and gas fired power stations that have been working flat out to keep our homes and businesses warm.

And for the third winter running, the intense cold has gone hand in hand with periods of little or no wind. This should come as no surprise since prolonged cold is invariably associated with areas of high pressure.

Peak demand also comes during summer heat waves - as we all turn on our air conditioning units - again usually associated with areas of high pressure, with little or no wind...

...But in only 9 years time, the UK will legally have to generate around 30% of its electricity from renewable sources, of which 25% is expected to come from wind farms alone, as it is seen as a clean, carbon free energy source.

So what will happen then, when the wind doesn't blow?

If a similar meteorological situation occurred in 2020, then almost 25% of power would have to come from sources other than wind.

This means that there would have to be some power stations - using coal or gas, since nuclear power output can't be increased at short notice - that simply exist as a stand-by facility, in case the wind doesn't blow.

And that's a very expensive way of producing electricity.

We're all dooooomed... but not from AGW; from the knee jerk reactions of our inept, green movement focused, politicians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2011/01/coal-takes-the-strainagain.shtml