Am I still allowed to question climate change?

casting aside the whole mini iceage stuff, are you saying that average temperature has increased over the last 15 years?

I haven't measured them but acceding to the met office, Nasa and various other institution the last decade was warmer than the previous decade despite the suns output being lower.

I suppose one could read this as I don't believe anything that doesn't support my point of view :|

Do you think the scientists are actually making it up?

I know this is directed at Cyclone, who I'm sure will eventually reply, but -as I'm apparently/generally of the same viewpoint as C on the issue- I'll post my reply to this: it's not a question of not believing anything that doesn't support my PoV, or that scientists are making it up (some have been proven to do just that, though)...the issue is that there are now far too much vested interests in the whole "global warming" thing (it's a global industry, with untold billions already committed, and more still at stake) to take anything one side or the other says without a hefty dose of scepticism.

You cannot deny that pro-global warming scientists (hitherto very respectable types) have been proven to distort, bend and massage the 'truth' (of the data/analysis output) and even pro-actively lie to suit their agenda. They may be a minority, and the whole scandal may have been well out of proportion relative to the scale of the issue and affected it disproportionately, but in the end scientists are never supposed to do that at all: the data/analysis goes one way or the other, and that's it. When they turn into politicians, they lose any and all legitimacy as "scientists".

Hence the "not trusting" approach ('prove or else'), which is healthy (IMHO).

Incidentally, that's just reminded me of my 7-year old who is going through the "ecology/recycling/global warming" bit of the education syllabus at this moment. I'm scheduled to have "some words" with her teacher on Friday, as -however simplified the educational message may have to be for that age group- some of the material is clearly untrue, and some other of the material is clearly partisan (does not consider gaping flaws in the pro-warming canons of wisdom at all...it feels/looks like 'real time revisionism' :mad:). Here was me, still thinking that a school's job is to teach kids to think for themselves first and foremost. That'll be yet another job fully delegated to the parents, then :rolleyes:

Edited by L00b

I haven't measured them but acceding to the met office, Nasa and various other institution the last decade was warmer than the previous decade despite the suns output being lower.

hold on, the data quoted by the mail says the opposite, what data are you using to back up your claim?

Are you saying the blow quote from the mail is a lie?

Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

Edited by WeX

hold on, the data quoted by the mail says the opposite, what data are you using to back up your claim?

Are you saying the blow quote from the mail is a lie?

Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

I did give you a link to the met office site which states the last decade was warmer than the previous decade. I would assume what the met office say on their site is more reliable that what the mail say the met office said.

So why does Professor Phil Jones say in the last 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming...

No disrespect but you know who Phil Jones is don't you?

I know this is directed at Cyclone, who I'm sure will eventually reply, but -as I'm apparently/generally of the same viewpoint as C on the issue- I'll post my reply to this: it's not a question of not believing anything that doesn't support my PoV, or that scientists are making it up (some have been proven to do just that, though)...the issue is that there are now far too much vested interests in the whole "global warming" thing (it's a global industry, with untold billions already committed, and more still at stake) to take anything one side or the other says without a hefty dose of scepticism.

You cannot deny that pro-global warming scientists (hitherto very respectable types) have been proven to distort, bend and massage the 'truth' (of the data/analysis output) and even pro-actively lie to suit their agenda. They may be a minority, and the whole scandal may have been well out of proportion relative to the scale of the issue and affected it disproportionately, but in the end scientists are never supposed to do that at all: the data/analysis goes one way or the other, and that's it. When they turn into politicians, they lose any and all legitimacy as "scientists".

Hence the "not trusting" approach ('prove or else'), which is healthy (IMHO).

Incidentally, that's just reminded me of my 7-year old who is going through the "ecology/recycling/global warming" bit of the education syllabus at this moment. I'm scheduled to have "some words" with her teacher on Friday, as -however simplified the educational message may have to be for that age group- some of the material is clearly untrue, and some other of the material is clearly partisan (does not consider gaping flaws in the pro-warming canons of wisdom at all...it feels/looks like 'real time revisionism' :mad:). Here was me, still thinking that a school's job is to teach kids to think for themselves first and foremost. That'll be yet another job fully delegated to the parents, then :rolleyes:

Exactly and well said.

So why does Professor Phil Jones say in the last 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming...

No disrespect but you know who Phil Jones is don't you?

Yes the man that said this.

Speaking about the figures, Professor Phil Jones, Director of Research at the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia said: "The warmest 10 years in all three datasets are the same and have all occurred since 1998. The last 10 years 2001-2010 were warmer than the previous 10 years (1991-2000) by 0.2 °C."