Am I still allowed to question climate change?

If CO2 is the only driver in warming then where did it come from to create the warming seen in the medieval period?

CO2 is NOT the only cause of climate change.

Gases that contribute to the greenhouse effect include: Water vapor, Carbon dioxide (CO2), Methane, Nitrous oxide and Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

If anyone on the forum has a computer the size of a house, perhaps they can calculate the efects for all those different gases?

And then calculate the other effects of warming, the expansion of the oceans, the albedo effect and much more.

http://climate.nasa.gov/causes

the expansion of the oceans, the albedo effect

Those bits are easy.

The oceans will expan upwards by 7cm for each degree of warming between now and 2113. Assuming a straight line.

The change in overall albedo will be negliable, as long as the snow cover does not increase, as almost all bits vunerable to meltinghave done so. Places such as the Hymilayan glaciers are utterly insignificant one even a local scale let alone a global one.

If CO2 is the only driver in warming then where did it come from to create the warming seen in the medieval period?

The lack of a good explanation does not mean that only the poor explanation that is left can be the correct explanation. More likely it means that you don't know enough to speculate about the cause.

Just started looking into this , and get the impression that CO2 , that harmless gas that we all breathe out ( and which is also a by-product of home - brewing ) has been jumped upon and demonised by those with a green ( and financially beneficial ) agenda .

Carbon dioxide is a plant nutrient , so why aren't we harnessing it for the benefit of UK agriculture , as the Dutch seem to be doing ( Telegraph 14/12/09) whilst at the same time bringing down emissions ? Surely both industry and agriculture could benefit from CCS ( Carbon dioxide capture and storage ) . Co2 is used in the food industry ( to make bread rise ) the soft drinks industry , refridgeration ( think dry ice ) and so the list goes on .

CO2 has been with us since the beginning of time and surely , if properly harnessed , could be a real asset . But I guess most people will just keep thinking "global warming blahh blahh "

The lack of a good explanation does not mean that only the poor explanation that is left can be the correct explanation. More likely it means that you don't know enough to speculate about the cause.

So why do you "speculate"?

So why do you "speculate"?

I don't. I haven't suggested a mechanism for global temperature change. I've just pointed out that a) global temperature change itself is suspect, and that b) if it is happening, trying to pin it on humans is very shaky science and trying to pin it on CO2 specifically is even less rigorous.

What speculation did you think I'd done?

• 2 months later...

The rats are jumping ship.

Starting with Tim Yeo.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100219218/trougher-yeo-recants-on-global-warming/

Here's what he (Tim Yeo) said in 2009:

"The dying gasps of the deniers will be put to bed. In five years time, no one will argue about a man-made contribution to climate change.”

And here, less than five years on, is what he is saying now:

“Although I think the evidence that the climate is changing is now overwhelming, the causes are not absolutely clear. There could be natural causes, natural phases that are taking place.”