Am I still allowed to question climate change?

Awful programming !

The source code used for the data analysis is buggy and poorly documented.

I'd lose my contract if I produced code like that and my code will only affect one business rather than global policy !!!

IF the newsnight footage is to be believed the code includes a 'fudge factor' !!!

Edited by BritPat

Awful programming !

I'd lose my contract if I produced code like that and my code will only affect one business rather than global policy !!!

IF the newsnight footage is to be believed the code includes a 'fudge factor' !!!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/04/climategate-the-smoking-code/

Take a read of the code.

Its AWFUL aand the AGW models are based on it.

I could programm better than that easily, and i'm a DBA by trade !

Things are beginning to get ridiculous. a CIF article in the Guardian today originally titled - Is climate change scepticism the new Holocaust denial? but now changed to - Climate change: free speech for the sceptics? shows just how hysterical some people can be.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2009/dec/04/climate-change-scepticism

It would seem that we who have some doubts about AGW's place in climate change are now held to be as morally repugnant as those who believe the Holocaust didn't happen. :o

Awful programming !

What the hell language is that written in? It had a goto line in it.

Is it some form of basic?

IDL apparently, never heard of it.

I like these comments in the source code though;

IMPORTANT NOTE: The data after 1960 should not be used. The tree-ring density records tend to show a decline after 1960 relative to the summer temperature in many high-latitude locations. In this data set this "decline" has been artificially removed in an ad-hoc way, and this means that data after 1960 no longer represent tree-ring density variations, but have been modified to look more like the observed temperatures.

Others, such as mxdgrid2ascii.pro, issue this warning:

NOTE: recent decline in tree-ring density has been ARTIFICIALLY REMOVED to facilitate calibration. THEREFORE, post-1960 values will be much closer to observed temperatures then (sic) they should be which will incorrectly imply the reconstruction is more skilful than it actually is. See Osborn et al. (2004).

No conspiracy here though is there, no intent to fudge the data at all!