Am I still allowed to question climate change?

It's not irreversible at all, we're still "late" for the start of the next ice-age...

And it's been far warmer in the past and subsequently cooled, so the idea that we've passed some sort of irreversible tipping point isn't supported by the historical evidence.

Over what time period? For ever?

I apologise if I wasn't clear: Over the past four decades averages temperatures have seen far more extreme variation with an upward trend.

Again, whether this is man-made or not is debatable and mostly irrelevant. Best thing we can do now is prepare for it, globally, nationally and locally. Cutting CO2 emissions is part of that but there are plenty of other factors involved.

In the UK for example we need to be far more vigilant for floods due to extreme rainfall. We need to stop building on flood plains, or at least build in such a way that houses are not affected by floods (which is perfectly possible in this day and age). We need to maintain water flows a lot better, keep rivers and canals clear of rubbish. And as a country a massive investment in replacing the Victorian drains is required.

I apologise if I wasn't clear: Over the past four decades averages temperatures have seen far more extreme variation with an upward trend.

Again, whether this is man-made or not is debatable and mostly irrelevant. Best thing we can do now is prepare for it, globally, nationally and locally. Cutting CO2 emissions is part of that but there are plenty of other factors involved.

In the UK for example we need to be far more vigilant for floods due to extreme rainfall. We need to stop building on flood plains, or at least build in such a way that houses are not affected by floods (which is perfectly possible in this day and age). We need to maintain water flows a lot better, keep rivers and canals clear of rubbish. And as a country a massive investment in replacing the Victorian drains is required.

Lack of food will be a much larger problem than whether your house gets flooded, humans are very adaptable when it comes to climate and temperature, but many of the organisms that we depend on for our survival are not.

2014 set to be warmest year on record, so a little more evidence that our climate is warming.

I would assume that you have seen news about the UKs weather, with 2014 likely to be the hottest on record?

Climate change is something more than weather, 2014 could well be the warmest on record globally, the existance of climate change is not quetioned.

Is it?

What science would it be based on?

I would assume that you have seen news about the UKs weather, with 2014 likely to be the hottest on record?

Climate change is something more than weather, 2014 could well be the warmest on record globally, the existance of climate change is not quetioned.

Is it?

What science would it be based on?

We as humans like to pretend we have it all sorted and know it all.The truth is we know jack....

Lack of food will be a much larger problem than whether your house gets flooded, humans are very adaptable when it comes to climate and temperature, but many of the organisms that we depend on for our survival are not.

It will be on a global basis although continuous improvements in agricultural technology are helping to stem the flow there a bit. I would argue lack of food is more of an issue due to over-population than global warning.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

---------- Post added 04-12-2014 at 17:53 ----------

Or maybe just firmly behind a continuing supply of money from credulous governments.

Wow Jeffrey, I knew you were a cynic, but this is an absurd level of cynicism....

Are you denying the fact that weather patterns are changing globally?

Or maybe just firmly behind a continuing supply of money from credulous governments.

So you believe that influence from the government outweighs the influence from the petrochemical industry? By this I mean, I'm sure that the oil companies would be far happier to fund research which would protect their industry.

So if the researchers were to chase the money, as opposed to producing research, surely there is only one direction that they'd follow.