Something to boost the city centre?

You go to somewhere like York and they have amazing street performers of all variations attracting large crowds; they've kept their history and make money from it, even though it's a small place; they have attractions near the water, pubs you can sit outside of on a summer's day and look at the action on the river etc. Our council just don't seem to have any vision - and when they do have an inkling, it's either naff or expensive to visit (the National Centre For Popular Music hitting both of those marks!!!).

I love my city, but it's heartbreaking to see what it's become because the dinosaurs in charge are stuck in the past.

York has loads of history, which makes it a tourist destination, and things happen from because of that.

I don't think Sheffield can compete with a lot of what York's got, but when you visit Leeds and Manchester, and compare their city centers to ours, then you realise how far behind Sheffield city center has become.

York has loads of history, which makes it a tourist destination, and things happen from because of that.

I don't think Sheffield can compete with a lot of what York's got, but when you visit Leeds and Manchester, and compare their city centers to ours, then you realise how far behind Sheffield city center has become.

Why do people always compare us to Leeds & Manchester - both are centres of conurbations far bigger than Sheffield and both have wealthy "hinterlands" - the "Cheshire stockbroker belt" & the "golden triangle" respectively - which dwarf any equivalent we may have.

Sheffield urban area would have to be about 3 times the size to be comparable to Leeds and about 4 times the size to Manchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

i thought sheffield had lots of history but those in charge have continually destroyed it.

i thought sheffield had lots of history but those in charge have continually destroyed it.

Some people would blame the council for the castle being destroyed in 1644.

It hasn't got much history compared to York but not many British cities outside London & Edinburgh do, especially the northern industrial that mainly developed during the industrial revolution.

Had time to wander round Leeds city centre on Wednesday after a meeting at Leeds Beckett. I used to frequent it much more back in the 80s…Sisters of Mercy and all that stuff round the Fenton pub so it was kind of homecoming for this aged goth.

Yes the city has loads of dramatic old buildings, a financial district, was quite bustling (though it was 5pm going home time), and there are few big name shops. Felt more like Manchester than Sheffield

But

Plenty of pound lands / Greggs / closed down shops plus nowhere to park (hence the train trip)

More beggars than Sheffield

Drunks on the street (at 5pm)

Generally the place felt grimy and a little bit seedy. I must admit to putting my wallet in a more secure pocket.

Had a look at some of the CAMRA recommend pubs, nothing to write home about compared to ours

Was quite nice to get off the train at the Sheffield Station and see clean open public spaces and breath fresh air and (dare I say it) see trees.

Can’t really say their station is a nice area to be in and it’s certainly not a friendly city to be in.

Don’t try and compete with Leeds, it’s a totally different city, just because it has a few big names doesn’t mean its better. I certainly wouldn’t swap.

Had time to wander round Leeds city centre on Wednesday after a meeting at Leeds Beckett. I used to frequent it much more back in the 80s…Sisters of Mercy and all that stuff round the Fenton pub so it was kind of homecoming for this aged goth.

Yes the city has loads of dramatic old buildings, a financial district, was quite bustling (though it was 5pm going home time), and there are few big name shops. Felt more like Manchester than Sheffield

But

Plenty of pound lands / Greggs / closed down shops plus nowhere to park (hence the train trip)

More beggars than Sheffield

Drunks on the street (at 5pm)

Generally the place felt grimy and a little bit seedy. I must admit to putting my wallet in a more secure pocket.

Had a look at some of the CAMRA recommend pubs, nothing to write home about compared to ours

Was quite nice to get off the train at the Sheffield Station and see clean open public spaces and breath fresh air and (dare I say it) see trees.

Can’t really say their station is a nice area to be in and it’s certainly not a friendly city to be in.

Don’t try and compete with Leeds, it’s a totally different city, just because it has a few big names doesn’t mean its better. I certainly wouldn’t swap.

Very well said. I see just the same whenever I go to Leeds.

This rose tinted view just because it has a Harvey Nichols and a few poncey clothing shops is just ridiculous.

All this top trumps over who has the poshest department store, who has the most expensive restaurant, who has the tallest office tower etc etc etc gets on my nerves.

Time to people to see the positives for a change.

Why do people always compare us to Leeds & Manchester - both are centres of conurbations far bigger than Sheffield and both have wealthy "hinterlands" - the "Cheshire stockbroker belt" & the "golden triangle" respectively - which dwarf any equivalent we may have.

Sheffield urban area would have to be about 3 times the size to be comparable to Leeds and about 4 times the size to Manchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester were all small hamlets before the Industrial Revolution. There is no reason why Sheffield cannot become an Alpha World City, other than the lack of ambition of the city council and some of its residents.

Very well said. I see just the same whenever I go to Leeds.

This rose tinted view just because it has a Harvey Nichols and a few poncey clothing shops is just ridiculous.

All this top trumps over who has the poshest department store, who has the most expensive restaurant, who has the tallest office tower etc etc etc gets on my nerves.

Time to people to see the positives for a change.

I agree. I love Sheffield. It has some brilliant things going on, but you sometimes have to dig around to find them. I just wish they were better publicised and better attended.

A city's main asset is it's people, and once you get past the cynicism and the chip on their shoulders, Sheffielders are simply the funniest, greatest, most diverse group of people you could wish to meet.

Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester were all small hamlets before the Industrial Revolution. There is no reason why Sheffield cannot become an Alpha World City, other than the lack of ambition of the city council and some of its residents.

Yes - I'm sure the council can conjure up another 10 million or so people, an international stock exchange, major international art galleries, HQ of a few hundred multinationals, perhaps the seat of government while they're at it :cool: