Something to boost the city centre?

If people don't want to shop in Sheffield Monday to Saturday, why would they want to do so on Sunday?

To be honest, Sunday opening times are not the reason why Sheffield town centre has fallen behind the competition.

Sheffielders are perfectly happy with the status quo:

Cheap-ass shops for cheap-ass shoppers.

I've heard rumours from two different sources (er, two different employees) that Primark are moving to a new site on the Moor, where the construction work is taking place. So much for the IMAX cinema screen I was hoping for!

Also, has anybody see Meadowhall retail Park recently?

This Park used to see itself as more upmarket than the city centre, with posher (ie, more expensive) shops but now has THREE bargain shops next to each other:

B and M

Range and

some other discount / pound shop type!

Oh, how embarrassing! Meadowhall retail Park's fall from grace is even worse than the city centre's, when Rackhams / house of fraser became poundland.

It'd make more sense to allow SCC officials unlimited unpaid holiday and an unlimited crack cocaine allowance. They'd finally get nowt done, and the city centre would be able to thrive on it's own, without being subject to ze madness.

These days it isn't even the 4th largest city in England, let alone the UK.

According to this site [LINK] we're the 6th largest in England, 8th in the UK.

"According to .."?

I guess you can find anything on the internet, but the numbers on that webpage are, quite simply, worthless and of no use whatsoever as evidence for your claim.

The numbers are all abit odd as different places count different sized areas as 'the city'.

If you look at the metropolitan area numbers it gives you a decent indicator of the number of people in and around the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

That puts us around 7th, behind:

London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, Liverpool, Newcastle/Sunderland.

Leeds/Bradford are two separate places as are Newcastle/Sunderland.

If we're going to play that game then why not include Sheffield/Rotherham?

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 11:30 ----------

Sheffielders are perfectly happy with the status quo:

Cheap-ass shops for cheap-ass shoppers.

I've heard rumours from two different sources (er, two different employees) that Primark are moving to a new site on the Moor, where the construction work is taking place. So much for the IMAX cinema screen I was hoping for!

The planning that has been granted is for a cinema.

Because for all that's bad about Sheffield city centre...Rotherham town centre is far, far worse? :hihi:

Joke aside, please,

These days it isn't even the 4th largest city in England, let alone the UK.

According to this site [LINK] we're the 6th largest in England, 8th in the UK.

(comment to all here) let's not waste time arguing about how bigger or smaller Sheffield is, relative to other metro/conurbations.

I said '4th' in my earlier post, going by some admittedly hazy memories of some threads on here...the core point stands that Sheffield is still one of the largest British cities (4th or 6th or 8th, does it matter that much?) but has a centre well, well below expectations for a city of that size in one of the world's top economies. IMHO.

Leeds/Bradford are two separate places as are Newcastle/Sunderland.

The Metro figures do include Sheffield/Rotherham :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

It needn't be a rumour. It's officially confirmed fact, and has been for a couple of years:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/business-news/primark-next-for-sheffield-moor-move-1-5799508

And the Primark unit is one of the 3-4 untis that will sit on the bottom level facing The Moor, with the cinema sat on top of them, as has always been the plan.

I do worry that Sheffielders have seen so much to be cynical about over the years that they've forgotten how to be anything else.