Who is the most famous person you have seen/met?

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I climbed a mountain with Chris Bonnington.( now Sir)

Tell us more.  intrigued? 

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’ve shaken hand with King Charles (when he was prince of wales).

Tell us more. intrigued? 

Edited by Baron99

Haven't followed this thread from the start and don't have the patience to read it all, what's the criteria? Have you only have to have seen them in person, or do you have to have engaged them in conversation?

I'm assuming the latter otherwise I, like a lot of us could include the Beatles, Joe Cocker, Carl Perkins , Roy Orbison etc and that would be a bit daft.

So, met and held a conversation with, in no particular order John Charles, Mary McAleese ( while President of Ireland ) Prince Michael of Kent, John Stalker, Dean Richards ( England and British and Irish Lion ) Alan Kelly Blades and Ireland goalkeeper. Len Badger , Tony Currie , Bernard Shaw, Tony Kay, Peter Eustace , Eric Taylor, Michael Howard and  Baron Kerslake, former leader of Sheffield City Council and currently head of the Civil Service, whos mother came from the same village in the Republic of Ireland as my mother.

Famous people that I have been in the company of and deliberately blanked for my personal amusement , Bobby Moore in the Grand Hotel Sheffiels city center, which I regret, and Anthony Armstrong Jones in the Crucible which I don't.

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Tell us more.  intrigued? 

Tell us more. intrigued? 

I was on a mountaineering course in the lake district and he was one of the instructors and we climbed great gable together. Myself, Chris and another man. He always wore a blue sun hat. 

Edited by Kidorry
Altered text

Shared a drink, or a meal, or a round of golf would be my criteria.

Too many to mention here, but a couple of notables, probably previously mentioned on the Expat forum.

Took a couple of young jewish lawyers on a few trips to look at some land we were selling north of Toronto. Their real love was show biz, and had a comedy skit show on local TV.

They were a riot in the back seat used to love the little greasy spoon in red neck country, where I'd stop for lunch.

They were Hart Pomeranz and Lorne Michaels (now long time producer of SNL) Through Lorne, met a lot of the famous alumni of Second City, including the Ghostbusters gang.

As a young lad was a fan of the old film noir movies shown at the Heeley Green, Colly and Carleton.

Had breakfast and played golf with one of the stars of that era, Lloyd Bridges, who was staying at our holel in the Bahamas, while filming his TV show, Sea Hunt, if anybody remembers. Thru that later met his sons Beau, and Jeff and their guest Ali McGraw in Malibu. (a secret thrill for this Heeley lad, but you had to be cool, no photos, no autographs nonsense)

Good pals played for NY Rangers an Leafs.

Goldie Hawn and Curt Russel spent their summers and still do,  north of Toronto on Lake Muskoka, and introduced me to some others including Jane Seymour who was there with her twin babies at the time.

What's it all mean? Not a lot!

When you have money, you can run with the crowd, but they don't call me these days! :)

One story might be of interest though. 

Our hero Joe Shaw (from United spying cop days) fell on hard times. He was selling his memorabilia to make ends meet.

My brother Roy and a few of his pals got together to raise the money to buy all his stuff, and bring him and his wife to Toronto. A few tears that night in the pub!

I've asked Roy to post here, but he always says he's too busy. He, like me is getting on though, so maybe one day!  :)

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...