Who is the most famous person you have seen/met?

Victor Spinetti - came from the same village as my mom

Austin Mitchell MP - wouldn't be all that well known as an MP, however well known in Yorkshire as the former presenter of Calendar

Peter Cook - I happened to be in the house of one of his neighbours in London in the eighties when he popped in for an hour. And yes, he was funny even though he was already drunk

Max Roach, legendary jazz drummer - after a gig in Leeds he sat down at our table and talked with us for a while. I've also chatted with a number of other well known jazz musicians prior during or after gigs, unlike pop stars, they mingle with the public much more

Bob Geldhof - had a beer with him in Faversham Kent during their hop festival, he lived in a nearby village at the time and probably still does for all I know

Edited by callippo

sometimes you can meet famous people without even knowing that they're famous. You could be one of the very few people that have never heard of them. That happened to me in South Africa once when I was working at this curio stall in Cape Town. I hadn't been there long - only about two weeks. This really attractive South African girl in her mid 20s started looking at one of the chairs we had for sale and I went up to her and started trying to sell it her, we got on pretty well, I was being as charming as I could of course as I as on commission, plus hoping for a tip as she looked rich, was really well dressed. We were laughing and joking there, and I became conscious that my mates were staring at us really intently and smiling broadly about fifty yards away. I wondered why they were so interested. We agreed on a price for the chair and then she paid up and I continued talking with her while the black guys wrapped it up. When it was all done I carried it over to her nice car and put it in the trunk and said goodbye nice to meet you, please come again.

when I got back the guys said, 'look have you any idea who that was?'

I said, 'no, who is it. She's a bit hot isn't she. Why. Do you know her?'

'everyone here knows her, you moron. She's probably the biggest soap star on South African television at the moment. You're probably the only person she's met in ages that didn't ask for her autograph'.

Edited by callippo

while I think about it, another one, in London again, which is obviously the likeliest place in Britain to just come across well known faces passing by.

Edgware Road, I was just walking down the street and there was what looked like this drunken bum shuffling towards me on the pavement. Once he got within about 10 yards, I realised it was Clive James.

I met somebody else in London who was quite a well known actor, although I myself didn't know him or recognise him. He had been in some successful tv series and was cast in one of the Bond films, towards the top of the bill. He was relieved I didn't know him from Adam, and started talking about being recognised by the public all the time. He said, the comomnest thing they said was,

WHAT ARE YOU OFF?

meaning that they have recognised him, they'd seen him on tv, but couldn't quite put their finger on where.

Edited by callippo

while I think about it, another one, in London again, which is obviously the likeliest place in Britain to just come across well known faces passing by.

My experience is the complete opposite. I have spent a lot of time in Old London Town and never once saw or met anyone famous there by accident.

By contrast, I have run into Joanna Lumley, Dominic West and Clarke Peters, all on the Crucible mile and completely unrehearsed.

Not to mention John Parrott and Steve Davis, who always approach from the most unexpected streets.

cast in one of the Bond films, towards the top of the bill. He was relieved I didn't know him from Adam, and started talking about being recognised by the public all the time. He said, the comomnest thing they said was,

WHAT ARE YOU OFF?

George Lazenby ? :cool:

London is not like Sheffield in that you will almost never see a casual aquaintance, or friend on the Tube or on the street.

but it's a numbers game. It's sheer volume. Especially if you are around central London, you are guaranteed to see well-known people getting in and out of limousines and taxis, here and there. You might even see them just walking down the street.

they might be people you yourself have never heard of, like the Foreign Minister of Jordan, or the Finance Minister of Norway. Important, and well-known people in their own countries. Just because you yourself have never heard of them, doesn't mean, that they are not well known.

people like that, the Foreign Minister of Jordan, or the Finance Minister of Norway, almost never turn up in Sheffield. But there's loads of people like that in the really major cities of Europe, like London, Paris, Rome etc.