Animal attraction

We all have different ideas of what is attractive in others and what makes us attracted to them as a partner.

I would say it was a combination of physical features and personality.

Does the same apply to animals or is it simply a matter of availability that decides who they mate with ?

We all have different ideas of what is attractive in others and what makes us attracted to them as a partner.

Does the same apply to animals or is it simply a matter of availability that decides who they mate with ?

Don't know but my dog will bonk anything

This is actually quite an interesting philosophical question on a few levels.

1. What do animals base their decision to mate on? Certainly there are examples where either the male or female pick and choose.

2. Do animals have personalities beyond those we imprint on them? Do they perceive each other's personalities or just read body language? Is there a difference?

3. Is human mating as a phenomenon based on more than animal attraction? Some would say love is simply a social construct. Therefore when it comes to mating are we really just kidding ourselves that we are any more developed than other animals?

Surely in the animal world it is

1) The redder your bottom (Apes)

2) The bigger your nest (Bower birds)

3) The louder your song (Most birds)

4) The most ornate your scrape (Pufferfish)

5) The bigger your bellow (Red deer)

Surely in the animal world it is

1) The redder your bottom (Apes)

2) The bigger your nest (Bower birds)

3) The louder your song (Most birds)

4) The most ornate your scrape (Pufferfish)

5) The bigger your bellow (Red deer)

Yes but a lot of those things might not necessarily offer a survival advantage so the question here is why do they choose on that basis? It's not like with lions where only the strongest alpha gets to mate. Particularly with birds, they almost all pair, sometimes for life, one bird might not be suitable but another will.

Don't try it; bestiality is still a criminal offence, I understand.