I have some cutlery

I have some EPNS cutlery that has been through a dishwasher too many times, and the coating has worn off. It is Kings pattern, and was from George Butler. Does anyone know of some place that would re suface it for me? It is the forks and spoons, (servers, dessert, fruit spoons and teaspoons) Any info would be appreciated.

You mean like the were silver plated or something??

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 17:00 ----------

There's plenty of plating services in Sheffield.

http://www.lathco.co.uk/lathco_electroplating_metal_finishing_silverworks.html

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 17:02 ----------

They've got some information on cutlery care as well that might be worth looking at.

http://www.lathco.co.uk/silver_plated_cutlery_care_stainless_steel_cutlery_care.html

I have some EPNS cutlery that has been through a dishwasher too many times, and the coating has worn off. It is Kings pattern, and was from George Butler. Does anyone know of some place that would re suface it for me? It is the forks and spoons, (servers, dessert, fruit spoons and teaspoons) Any info would be appreciated.

I worked at George Butlers for 24 years and when ever I met a customer I told them NEVER put E.P.N.S. Cutlery in a dishwasher, in fact this information was put in all of our plated cutlery when it was sent out to customers. If you spend a good amount of cash on plated cutlery it's common sense to wash it by hand in warm soapy water so it retains its good look.

....................I know that now!!!! My 'guest cutlery' is always washed by hand, ( count them all out and back) I wonder how much I would have to fork (!) out to have it re-plated?

You can always give George Butlers a ring, they are situated on Orgreave Way.

The knives in your set, well I did the bolstering on them, ( the bolster is what the handle sits on and the back of the blade) I did all the blades for over twenty years.

It's cheaper to replace the cutlery with second hand EPNS that hasn't been through the dishwasher. Replating will be very expensive - £6 - £8 per item.

You can pick up sets of EPNS cheaply because not many people want cutlery that can't go in the dishwasher.

For instance this set, up for auction at Sheffield Auction Gallery on Friday 17th July.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sheffield-auction-gallery/catalogue-id-srsh10072/lot-023da6af-636f-4254-a60d-a4d00116ad8e

There's also several canteens of stainless cutlery in the same auction: