New York Stock Exchange

it's very worrying. I've locked all the doors, put on a crash helmet and I'm hiding under the kitchen table.

You're wasting your time under the kitchen table if the indices are "going through the floor"!

Wall Street Journal and United Airlines systems also down.Everyone is blaming it on unrelated glitches.

Hmmmmm !

United Airlines were down because of a single faulty router so nothing to worry about there (apart from UA's ability to run an IT infrastructure - it's not like having multiple redundant routers in case one fails isn't standard industry practice or anything).

Not so nyse at all.

Another point: everyone knows the NYSE's main index as the 'Dow Jones'.

But BBC News rarely uses the FTSE100's appellation 'footsie'. No, I don't know why.

Because the NYSE's main index is called the 'Dow Jones' and the LSE's main index is called the 'FTSE100' :huh:

Aha. I looked into how it acquired its name and you're more or less right.

According to http://www.ehow.com/facts_5541755_dow-jones-industrial-average-important.html :

History

The Dow Jones Industrial Average, referred to as DJIA, the Dow or the Dow Jones, is the oldest index tracking the U.S. stock market. It was started by Charles Dow in 1896 and originally tracked 12 stocks.

Function

Today the Dow consists of 30 stocks selected by the Dow Jones Company. The Dow 30 stocks are considered to be the top companies in America. Contrary to the index' name, not all of the Dow 30 are industrial companies. Representative companies include Catepillar, IBM, Coca Cola, Wal-Mart and JP Morgan Chase.

Significance

The DJIA is the most widely followed stock market indicator in the financial, mainstream and international news sources. Much broader measures of stock market activity exist, including the S&P 500 index, which monitors the stock prices of the top 500 U.S. corporations, and the Wilshire 5000, which monitors the stocks of all U.S. companies with measurable price activity. Still, when the news declares the market was up or down, they are generally referring to the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

But I still don't know why 'Footsie'- which is what LSE users call ours- is virtually never used by BBC News.