Call to Extend RTB for Private Tenants with discount.

How would this work though? The house belongs to the landlord, they have bought it, paid for it (ok, in some cases the tenant might have paid for it for them) and it is their house - Surely nobody can tell them they have to sell it to the tenant, possibly at a much lower price than its market value? I rented my old house for 6 years, meaning I had paid my landlord over £36,000 in rent, for a house that had been purchased for £70,000. I moved out and the rent was increased by £150 per month, and it is now rented out again. The value of the house is now in the region of £120,000 - Had I had RTB on this house after paying £36,000, what sort of discount would the landlord be expected to let me have on the price?

I just see, as Illuminati posted above, landlords not renewing contracts after 12 months and kicking their tenants out to avoid the RTB.

Guest sibon
Total garbage, and if you were sober or had any idea about being a landlord, you would know. What total rubbish.

It is a totally sound idea. BTL landlords have been scrounging off the state for too long. It is time to redress the balance by giving some of the benefits back to the tenants.

File this one with the insistence that employers pay a living wage instead of scrounging off the taxpayer.

It is a totally sound idea. BTL landlords have been scrounging off the state for too long. It is time to redress the balance by giving some of the benefits back to the tenants.

File this one with the insistence that employers pay a living wage instead of scrounging off the taxpayer.

It was a great money maker 10years ago. But now you be lucky to make 5% . That's with nothing need repairing. House prices are not going to double in next ten years. So it is not as roses as some uneducated think

Guest sibon
It was a great money maker 10years ago. But now you be lucky to make 5% . That's with nothing need repairing. House prices are not going to double in next ten years. So it is not as roses as some uneducated think

You still live off housing benefit though. Taxpayer subsidised rent. A failing market propped up by successive governments who are too lily-livered to contemplate allowing the housing market to correct itself.

Oh... and "lucky to make 5%". That says every thing in this era of low interest rates.

You still live off housing benefit though. Taxpayer subsidised rent. A failing market propped up by successive governments who are too lily-livered to contemplate allowing the housing market to correct itself.

Oh... and "lucky to make 5%". That says every thing in this era of low interest rates.

I rent mines to professional people as I don't want low life benefit scrouging type in my house. I always do my house top notch and it's far too good for local scrubbers. So I don't live off housing benefits.

Housing benefits only pay £110ish a week for 3 bedroom house.not even 5% in some of my houses

I rent mines to professional people as I don't want low life benefit scrouging type in my house. I always do my house top notch and it's far too good for local scrubbers

Well, get ready to turf the losers out every twelve months then.

Guest sibon
I rent mines to professional people as I don't want low life benefit scrouging type in my house. I always do my house top notch and it's far too good for local scrubbers. So I don't live off housing benefits.

Housing benefits only pay £110ish a week for 3 bedroom house.not even 5% in some of my houses

HB artificially inflates rents.

All landlords benefit from that. The market is rigged in favour of the landlord. That should not be the case.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 23:50 ----------

Well, get ready to turf the losers out every twelve months then.

You splet "top notch tenants, not local scrubbers" wrong there.

Type more carefully in future please :)

HB artificially inflates rents.

All landlords benefit from that. The market is rigged in favour of the landlord. That should not be the case.

If my house is worth 100,000 and I only get 4000 in rent (4%) , gas check, landlord insurance, general repairs, it will not be worth the effort. Rent are not high in real term

Guest sibon
If my house is worth 100,000 and I only get 4000 in rent (4%) , gas check, landlord insurance, general repairs, it will not be worth the effort. Rent are not high in real term

What if you have a mortgage on that, from banks bailed out by the taxpayer. And if the property increases in value. And if interest rates are artificially low, because of the bail outs. And if HB makes rents artificially high, because the government props up the market.

How much of a benefit scrounger does that make you?