What's happened to our fish & Chips ?

There's definitely an art form to good F&C, and not every shop makes the grade! But if you 'find' that place, then I'm not sure there is a finer meal! (Big up Shaws @ Killamarsh!)

As for cost, in terms of 'not home cooked food', it amazes me that you can feed 2 people for under a tenner and have change. Goto McDonalds or KFC now and feeding 2 folks is almost £15. To me, F&C is the cheapest and best form of fast food. If it was a little healthier, I'd be eating F&C 7 days a week.

Don't know what McDonalds you go to but their meals are like a fiver :hihi::hihi:

What gripes me is when you go to a chippy one week and it's cracking and then you go the next week or a couple weeks later and it's pure filth.

No I'm not Coddin, I can name the chippy down Addy Street off Crookesmoor rd, it was Littlewoods.

I went to Crookesmoor school with their daughter and Sunday school with her older brother Maurice who I later served in the T.A. with.

Splitting hairs over the wording is a bit poor:loopy: so I'll re write it 3 old pence for chips and four old pence for fish. I left Crookesmoor road in 1949/50

Well you were mixing them up a bit unless you meant a pound of cod was a shilling and a ha'penny and not half a crown.

Just thought I'd chuck that in to confuse the young 'uns. :)

---------- Post added 11-12-2015 at 11:39 ----------

Anyone recall a chip shop off Holinsend Rd, maybe Croft Rd? I recall one in that area where the chips were very cheap indeed around the 80's.

There was one on Stanhope Road.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Recently the best fish and chips I have eaten are from the Five Ways chippy at the Stag roundabout top of Herringthorpe Valley road Rotherham!.At £6-09p a portion there is enough for two,the cod is flaky and white,lovely, the chips are just right and delicious,you get plenty for two people!.Deviating I was led to believe "Scarborough Yap" was dogfish a type of small shark,the flesh was pinkish in colour,I,ve never tasted it though so cannot comment on that!.