What's happened to our fish & Chips ?

Yes, we think of Sheffield as being inland but I suppose over there we would be considered practically on the coast .....

So true, Sheffield is close enough to the coast to get fresh fish delivered regularly. Over here it is not only the distance, but cod fishing has been banned in Eastern Canada for years to buiid up the stock in the Atlantic.

Yes, we think of Sheffield as being inland but I suppose over there we would be considered practically on the coast .....

Except when we were kids and went on club day trips to the seaside, it used to take hours, about 4 if I recall, to get to Skeggie or Cleethorpes,

So true, Sheffield is close enough to the coast to get fresh fish delivered regularly. Over here it is not only the distance, but cod fishing has been banned in Eastern Canada for years to buiid up the stock in the Atlantic.

True Toronto. I lived in Newfoundland when the cod fishery collapsed. But, I've always preferred haddock to cod. From what I remember in the old days, haddock used to cost more than cod in the fish and chip shops in Sheffield. Am I right?

whitby, best fish ever. all i have to say on the subject! bit of a drive!

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 13:33 ----------

skeggys alright aswell, comes a close second

Can't beat straight off the boat and into the fryer. Always the best anywhere on the East coast

Has anyone else noticed that you never see Halibut on a Fish and Chip threa

He knows he will get battered !��

......to many of his brothers and sisters have been caught and eaten!

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 15:12 ----------

Yes I do remember the fourpenny fish, and Mrs Barrow - a lovely lady - would sell you a pennyworth of chips..:) Gordon Booth's threepenny fishcakes were the best, with flecks of parsley in them. I could just eat one now..:P Clayton's ice cream was delicious - your grandad did a good job! My school pal Trevor Ronksley's parents worked for Jack Clayton at weekends; John Ronksley is still in the ice cream business. Simple times indeed as you say!
Definately better than Walls icecream which used to burn your mouth and upset you stomach!.........but back on topic,the best fish and chips I have had lately have been from the Admiral at Crookes and Codraphenia at Walkley!

Not a fan of beef dripping unless it is changed very regularly.Hawleys at Stannington did not change the dripping enough and if you caught the times just before changeover the F&Cs were awful.

Edited by mossdog