White goods being dumped in Walkley.

Why pay someone to take them to the tip, when they know if they dump them on the street, the dodgy scrapmen will take them...

If they have a way (car) to carry it away from their homes to throw it somewhere else, I am sure they will not bother travelling a bit more to a tip.

If that's not the case, is the guy who lives on that road :)

Washing machines, microwaves and tumble driers will get picked up by scrap collectors - usually at night these days.

Things like vacuum cleaners where there's a lot of plastic will have the mains cables cut off, and sometimes the motors removed. The rest will be left behind.

Fridges and freezers will have the compressor removed by said scrap men and the carcass will be left for the council to collect at our expense.

I saw a freezer on Heavygate Rd that had had its steel carcass removed - all that was left was the foam insulation and the plastic liner!

If you put a fridge in a skip the scrap men will remove the compressor &c and the skip collector will dump the rest on the pavement - even if someone else put their fridge in your skip.

Washing machines, microwaves and tumble driers will get picked up by scrap collectors - usually at night these days.

And often without asking permission.

Put a cheap lock and chain on something that resembles metal in your garden and it will usually disappear in a day or two.

I had a microwave pack up I put it in the original box that I'd got in ..mail order.. so it looked as though it had just been delivered. I went out for an hour and sure enough it was gone.

Thank you <REMOVED> :-)

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

And often without asking permission.

Put a cheap lock and chain on something that resembles metal in your garden and it will usually disappear in a day or two.

I had a microwave pack up I put it in the original box that I'd got in ..mail order.. so it looked as though it had just been delivered. I went out for an hour and sure enough it was gone.

Thank you <REMOVED> :-)

you saved the original box and mail order packaging for a few years? Tell us another.

Even if your story is correct, it's likely that said thief will have dumped it, so your microwave that you were too lazy to dispose of responsibly is now littering

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

It's worth mentioning that a member of the public is committing an offence if he gives scrap or waste to someone who doesn't have a waste carrier's licence.

Are you sure? Surely anyone can give anything to anyone? It only becomes an offence when the receipient dumps it unofficially. It is then your goods causing litter.

Recently I've seen a fridge freezer at the bottom of Palm St, a washing machine at the bottom of Providence Rd and I've just been informed of another fridge freezer on Morley St.

Are we being invaded by aliens?

Is is some strange art installation?

Or are there just some dirty scrotes about?

I'd noticed a few of these as well. I was (uncharitably) assuming that they had come from private student lets that were being refurbished for the new academic year.

Are you sure? Surely anyone can give anything to anyone? It only becomes an offence when the receipient dumps it unofficially. It is then your goods causing litter.

Yes I am.

If you give a faulty microwave &c to someone to repair you MAY be OK, plenty on Freecycle/Freegle &c. If you gave it to them as scrap or waste and they don't have a waste carrier's licence you are both liable for prosecution. A genuine scrap man will give you a waste transfer note - like you get when you hire a skip.

Your last sentence is correct too, so make sure any rubbish you have collected doesn't have your name and address on it!

If you left it on the pavement for someone to collect you'd be fly-tipping, if you left it in your garden and someone took it they'd be stealing.

Yes I am.

If you give a faulty microwave &c to someone to repair you MAY be OK, plenty on Freecycle/Freegle &c. If you gave it to them as scrap or waste and they don't have a waste carrier's licence you are both liable for prosecution. A genuine scrap man will give you a waste transfer note - like you get when you hire a skip.

Your last sentence is correct too, so make sure any rubbish you have collected doesn't have your name and address on it!

If you left it on the pavement for someone to collect you'd be fly-tipping, if you left it in your garden and someone took it they'd be stealing.

ok, I'm happy to be educated.

But as an example ... lets say you have some scrap metal and live next door to me. I'm building some shelves in the shed and can make good use of that metal, so you give it me. Are we acting illegally? to you its scrap, to me its recycling. I'm genuinely not trying to catch you out, its the sort of thing I might do.