White goods being dumped in Walkley.

I'm the same - I've given loads of stuff away rather than weigh it in.

The crux of the matter would be that your neighbour wasn't taking the metal in the course of a scrap metal business.

Similarly as an indivudual you don't need a waste carrier's licence to take waste to a registered disposal site. There would be exceptions in the case of hazardous waste, such as asbestos or radioactive material.

About 8 weeks ago I saw one of those tall larder fridges and a washing machine carcass on Bole Hill Road - the bit from where the houses end to Hagg Hill section, they'd just been abandoned in the dip and were there for a good few weeks before being moved by someone

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 18:09 ----------

I'm the same - I've given loads of stuff away rather than weigh it in.

The crux of the matter would be that your neighbour wasn't taking the metal in the course of a scrap metal business.

Similarly as an indivudual you don't need a waste carrier's licence to take waste to a registered disposal site. There would be exceptions in the case of hazardous waste, such as asbestos or radioactive material.

Then again have you tried to weigh anything in recently, I unloaded a load of scrap metal from my parents house in the pouring rain only to be told by the obnoxious bloke at the scrappies next to the old Charlie Brown's on Penistone Road that as I didn't have an account I had to leave so I did with all my scrap metal only to return with my brother in law who has an account 2 weeks later. Its a nightmare trying to open an account so I can understand why people now fly tip though I totally disagree with it. Apparently its the new government ruling so people fly tip instead. Another pointless government exercise which now encourages people to flytip....

Apparently you need a current passport, Photo driving licence, a utility bill and what colour pants you wear on a Tuesday to open an account which is fine however in my case my passport expired last year and I don't have a photo driving licence so I'm doomed from the start. So always go with someone who has an account!

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 18:16 ----------

Scrapmen will take microwaves for steel and copper.

It's worth mentioning that a member of the public is committing an offence if he gives scrap or waste to someone who doesn't have a waste carrier's licence.

So how does it work if the said person 'steals' it from your garden in the first place???

I've caught scroats in my garden more than once and when you catch them in the act they scarper faster than a ferret up a drainpipe

I have an account with EMR - they accepted my bus-pass without any problem.

As part of the new legislation they have to pay you by cheque or bank transfer - so they offer a cheque cashing service; they give you a cheque, you give it back to them and they give you cash, less a commission.

I think it's unlikely you'll be prosecuted if a scrote steals scrap from you. The last lot I caught threatened to beat me up!