Modern day seven wonders of the world

CERN's Large Hadron Collider (all 27 kilometres of it).

This gets my vote for one of them.

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 19:35 ----------

What about some space related stuff? Saturn 5 rocket? Space Shuttle?

amazed nobody has mentioned the Golden Gate bridge, for me the most dramatic bridge I have seen and in one of the more beautiful of the world's coastal cities, although the Sydney Harbour bridge runs it very close indeed.

another candidate could be the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, although sporting arenas are seldom especially inspiring architecturally, they are part of the modern world, the Wimbledon club one does stand out as being something a bit special.

This gets my vote for one of them.

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 19:35 ----------

What about some space related stuff? Saturn 5 rocket? Space Shuttle?

Good shout, I'd say that the Apollo missions has to be on the list. What other things like, the splitting of the atom, antibiotics, the internet and the sequencing of the human genome?

A typical Anglicised list. Most of these were preceded or far superceded elsewhere. A modern list should include things like the Suez Canal (Much older than the Panama), London underground (first in the world), the Three Gorges Dam (unrivalled in scale), de Ijsselmeer/Flevoland region (largest reclaimed land project in the world), Dubai, the Oresund bridge and so on. And even then we are likely forgetting dozens of candidates.

Wouldn't you give half a mind to the 1.3million people displaced by such a vainglorious display of economic power?

I wouldn't call something so destructive a "wonder". It's akin to concreting over the rainforest and building a giant 6 mile high concrete tree instead. An amazing, incredible feat of design and engineering, but basically a blight and a scar on the planet.

In fact the three gorges were more of a wonder before the dam.

amazed nobody has mentioned the Golden Gate bridge, for me the most dramatic bridge I have seen and in one of the more beautiful of the world's coastal cities, although the Sydney Harbour bridge runs it very close indeed.

I like the Sydney Opera House as well

Aswan dam is pretty cool too. There you have this mix of the ancient and contemporary worlds with the superb transplanted Temple of Philae being so close by. And unlike the Suez Canal you see very few people. It is like this modernist construction in the middle of a big wilderness area.