The Disintegration of a Broken Continent

Is this where you argue that people from New Orleans are not compatible with people in Boston or LA?

Again, what is compatible? It needs a definition to be functional and frankly, any definition is likely to be nonsense because in the end all humans are compatible. Put the plug of the male into the female and it switches on so to say....

This is a highly mobile country. There will be enough Bostonians in New Orleans , or Creoles in LA to feel at home there. There might even be a few Sheffielders in those places longing for Henderson's Relish. Edited by buck

That's hardly a cogent argument is it. You're better off? Well whoopy do!

I take it the closed libraries, reduced social services, failing NHS, working till you're 68 and the 13 million worse off, have all passed you by. Oh, and the small matter of 1.5 Trillion debt.

After all, you've got a new car.

"After all, you've got a new car"!......I never actually said that, so you either know me or you choose to presume I have a new car!

Actually the past twelve months has been a record period for new car registrations so who would be surprised if I have a new car? You can bleat on forever about how you see the system failing people,but I don't see too many in the Workhouse or banged up in Middlewood anymore!I have said before that you could always divide the spoils more equally,but that is down to the government of the day mainly,and if you do not think things are better now than a few decades ago, then the entitlement stone around your neck is clouding your judgement!........I know rich people who are happy,I know rich people that are miserable..........I know poor people that are happy I know poor people that are miserable!

Edited by mossdog

This is a highly mobile country. There will be enough Bostonians in New Orleans , or Creoles in LA to feel at home there. There might even be a few Sheffielders in those places longing for Henderson's Relish.

A bit like how we have Greeks in Sheffield, Munchen and Lyon? Europe is just as mobile these days, except to those who do not want it to be, to them it is full of immigrants.

"After all, you've got a new car"!......I never actually said that, so you either know me or you choose to presume I have a new car!

Actually the past twelve months has been a record period for new car registrations so who would be surprised if I have a new car? You can bleat on forever about how you see the system failing people,but I don't see too many in the Workhouse or banged up in Middlewood anymore!I have said before that you could always divide the spoils more equally,but that is down to the government of the day mainly,and if you do not think things are better now than a few decades ago, then the entitlement stone around your neck is clouding your judgement!........I know rich people who are happy,I know rich people that are miserable..........I know poor people that are happy I know poor people that are miserable!

Before the last financial crash people were spending money like water thanks to cheap credit. It felt good, and people felt rich. It was conspicuous consumption, designer this and designer that all round, remember?

Then it turned from boom to bust overnight, - so fast it made your head spin.

Thanks to much government spin, people now think the crash is over and they can go out and spend again. What worries me is that people haven't learned the lessons of the past, and that includes banks who have proved they have no sense of moral responsibility.

What you might not know is that history is repeating itself, and bubbles are developing all over the place; bond markets, buy-to-let, new cars etc. We are teetering on the brink of another financial crash. But this time there is no slack in the system to withstand the full force of it. If / when it goes, the last crash will seem like a picnic in comparison.

By new cars I think Anna meant: the number of people buying new cars is decreasing, which means people are a bit worried ... it is taken as one of the many indications on the health of the economy ..... when people have money to spend they often buy new cars ... kind of!!

Anna will correct my guess I hope!

well done, great article!

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 14:07 ----------

Anna B might come later and explain what she meant.

- -

As an investor myself, though, I do take into consideration the number of new cars sold … it isn’t the only factor but definitely worth considering …

But even that sometimes isn’t enough .. as the article shows. Any indicator can move upwards and downwards depending on the forces that affect it … sometimes it moves as a direct consequence, or for indirect reasons … sometimes the reasons are

superficial and temporary … sometimes more solid and serious … so it isn’t really that simple.

But personally, I am confident 101% the health of UK economy would need another 50 years to recover.

Even if every citizen bought a brand new Bentley tomorrow …. 50 years to recover means FIFTY years to recover, as a minimum.

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 14:12 ----------

- - -

from the BBC:

New UK car sales hit a 10-year high in 2014, boosted by confidence in the economic recovery, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders has said.

.............. words to watch: boosted by confidence

not the economy!

I'm wondering how much of these are being leased (rented) rather than bought, as a proportion, however.

A record-breaking number of new registrations might not necessarily amount to fully-restored levels of purchasing power.

It can translate renewed confidence very well indeed, but a non-trivial (or majority) proportion of leases rather than e.g. HP could just as well translate an erosion of the general level of asset ownership (cars never owned any more).