Tax on Sugar Drinks

On the radio this morning there was a call for 20% tax on sugary drinks, and that its costs the NHS more than cigarettes or alcohol.

Hold on, do these statistics suggest that cigarettes / alcohol are better for you than sugar based drinks?

Will everyone also suggest people who drink sugar based drinks not be treated on the NHS just like alcohol and cigarettes?

Its the annoying British Medical Association again. Instead of working to find a cure for Aids and for Cancer they go around telling us what we can and cannot do.

I think the BMA should be abolished its not come out with anything sensible in years.

Its the annoying British Medical Association again. Instead of working to find a cure for Aids and for Cancer they go around telling us what we can and cannot do.

I think the BMA should be abolished its not come out with anything sensible in years.

You should write to your MP with your concerns.

Who do the doctors think they are when they try to combat the obesity epidemic in this country? How dare they try to improve the health of people in this country! See if your MP can take this to the top, the PM needs to know!

You should write to your MP with your concerns.

Who do the doctors think they are when they try to combat the obesity epidemic in this country? How dare they try to improve the health of people in this country! See if your MP can take this to the top, the PM needs to know!

The doctors shouldnt be trying to combat obesity it should be up to individuals. People should be given choices. If they chose to drink lots of sugary drinks and lower their life expectancy thats there fault not mine. Why should I be penalised when I buy the occasional can of pop and give more money to George Osbourne so that Wayne slob down the road can live a few years longer.

From confused.

Of course it was........

Did you not read it? Try again

The tax on smoking pretty much covers the cost of smoking related illness.

Don't add anything, just the words that were written. They exactly make the point I wanted to make. As if I'd chosen what words to use. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 10:03 ----------

The doctors shouldnt be trying to combat obesity it should be up to individuals.

Except that diabetes related to obesity is the SINGLE LARGEST COST to the NHS. It's a medical crisis across the country.

People should be given choices. If they chose to drink lots of sugary drinks and lower their life expectancy thats there fault not mine.

And they should have already paid, through taxation, for the cost of their medical treatment.

Why should I be penalised when I buy the occasional can of pop and give more money to George Osbourne so that Wayne slob down the road can live a few years longer.

Is it going to be that much of a hardship for you?

Did you not read it? Try again

Don't add anything, just the words that were written. They exactly make the point I wanted to make. As if I'd chosen what words to use. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 15-07-2015 at 10:03 ----------

Except that diabetes related to obesity is the SINGLE LARGEST COST to the NHS. It's a medical crisis across the country.

And they should have already paid, through taxation, for the cost of their medical treatment.

Is it going to be that much of a hardship for you?

Its not a case of being a hardship to me its the principle why should I have to pay for someone elses stupidity. I pay enough out in taxes already I dont want to pay anymore because some greedy git likes to spend all day drinking Sunny D.

i would rather pay another 30 or 40p for a bottle of coke and make sure the NHS gets more funding, coke and soft sugar drinks are not a necessity they are a luxury, in fact put a little bit more on all sugary stuff chocolate sweets etc its a good way to raise more taxes which would be hardly felt, with the Fatties paying the most:thumbsup::hihi:

Its not a case of being a hardship to me its the principle why should I have to pay for someone elses stupidity. I pay enough out in taxes already I dont want to pay anymore because some greedy git likes to spend all day drinking Sunny D.

I partly agree with you.

But diabetes is a huge issue for the country, and taxing high sugar content fast food is a way to a) pay for the cost of healthcare and b) try to alter peoples consumption habits.

Confused back on the Cyclone Forum( formerly Sheffield Forum)

So it is still maintained that taxing the punter is a good thing as this contribution will help to alleviate the increasing Diabetes problem( would obesity be contributed to as well)

But Manufacture/s continue to manufacture,promote and sell with impunity and dare I say avoid paying correct amount of Tax.

Therefore legalise "a "class drugs,tax "a "class drugs,then the tax contribution finances the fallout from the drug taking but allows the financers and pushers to continue with their trade.

Probably a bit extreme,but I think that it can be seen that there is a similarity.

The doctors shouldnt be trying to combat obesity it should be up to individuals. People should be given choices. If they chose to drink lots of sugary drinks and lower their life expectancy thats there fault not mine. Why should I be penalised when I buy the occasional can of pop and give more money to George Osbourne so that Wayne slob down the road can live a few years longer.

As I said, share your fury with your MP, see if they can do something about the evil doctors trying to improve peoples health.