Tax on Sugar Drinks

As I said, share your fury with your MP, see if they can do something about the evil doctors trying to improve peoples health.

I dont have a problem with the doctors campaigning on this issue and raising awareness its when they start interfering and suggesting we pay more tax thats the issue I have with it.

Why should the majority pay for the mistakes of a minority.

I dont have a problem with the doctors campaigning on this issue and raising awareness its when they start interfering and suggesting we pay more tax thats the issue I have with it.

We do already, through the costs of treating the people who make the mistake of drinking too much sugary drinks.

If farmers were rewarded for producing free range or organic, or schools or hospitals could get more funding if they could prove they were feeding the kids or patients healthier food

Maybe we should also have proof first that organic and free range is actually healthier.

But as far as sugar is concerned, make all drinks sugar free and use sweeteners instead. I don't see why I should be taxed because some people cant control their diet as I like sugar and will continue to use it.

Given to cost of sugar at present, .65p per kilo as oppose to .85p a kilo last year, I wouldn't be surprised that the fall in price is due to lower consumption given all this anti sugar hype.

That is currently the situation. We're all paying for the healthcare of the minority of people who overindulge.

The real question is what is the lesser evil, I'd say the tax on the drinks.

Maybe we should also have proof first that organic and free range is actually healthier.

But as far as sugar is concerned, make all drinks sugar free and use sweeteners instead. I don't see why I should be taxed because some people cant control their diet as I like sugar and will continue to use it.

Given to cost of sugar at present, .65p per kilo as oppose to .85p a kilo last year, I wouldn't be surprised that the fall in price is due to lower consumption given all this anti sugar hype.

It's much more than 0.65p/0.85p per kilogramme!

Did you mean 65p/85p?

It's much more than 0.65p/0.85p per kilogramme!

Did you mean 65p/85p?

Yes its .65p as its usually sometimes written that way, that's why I didn't put 0.65p

I believe both .65p and 65p to be correct.

Edited by apelike

No, a decimal point quite clearly indicates that you're specifying <1 of the subsequent unit, even if you omit the zero.

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 07:44 ----------

I hate artificially sweetened drinks, they taste disgusting. And on the rare occasion I buy a sugary drink, I want the sugar.

Add the tax, don't ruin the drinks.