Tax on Sugar Drinks

Sugary drinks in the news today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11754839/Sugary-drinks-behind-8000-diabetes-cases-a-year.html

Sugary drinks behind 8000 cases of diabetes every year!

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 12:38 ----------

Jobs for the boys and girls in hospital office's more like. :roll:

Is this supposed to be a serious objection to an attempt to address a serious issue? Because it comes across like you've got nothing useful to add.

Well, yeah. That's kind of the point. And it has a huge cost to our society. The biggest single cost to the NHS.

So if the people who buy a lot of sugar can pay some extra tax that will offset their diabetes treatment, then good. And if it encourages them to buy a bottle of water instead and not get self inflicted diabetes, then good.

Well, yeah. That's kind of the point. And it has a huge cost to our society. The biggest single cost to the NHS.

So if the people who buy a lot of sugar can pay some extra tax that will offset their diabetes treatment, then good. And if it encourages them to buy a bottle of water instead and not get self inflicted diabetes, then good.

Sugary drink 2l minus tax 17p including tax 20p

Supermarket bottled water 18p.

Is it worth the loss of the sugar and taste fix for 2p.

What about sports drinks, a report in 2012 showed Lucozade sports to contain more sugar than a mars bar. Is that a sugary drink that would be taxable?

Maybe we should also have proof first that organic and free range is actually healthier.

But as far as sugar is concerned, make all drinks sugar free and use sweeteners instead. I don't see why I should be taxed because some people cant control their diet as I like sugar and will continue to use it.

Given to cost of sugar at present, .65p per kilo as oppose to .85p a kilo last year, I wouldn't be surprised that the fall in price is due to lower consumption given all this anti sugar hype.

Artificial sweeteners aren't necessarily any healthier for you.

And why do drinks have to be so overly sweet anyway?

I've cut down on my intake of refined sugar, and I find I now can't stomach really sweet foods and drinks.

They pretty much are healthier, in that they reduce the risk of obesity and diabetes...

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 19:00 ----------

Sugary drink 2l minus tax 17p including tax 20p

Supermarket bottled water 18p.

Is it worth the loss of the sugar and taste fix for 2p.

What about sports drinks, a report in 2012 showed Lucozade sports to contain more sugar than a mars bar. Is that a sugary drink that would be taxable?

It's added sugar, so yes, clearly a sugary drink. Why would you need to ask?

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 19:01 ----------

But will they? And why should everyone else too?

The evidence is that they will, the BMC work from evidence. And who is the everyone else when we're talking about an obesity epidemic.

Arguably I am part of the everyone else, but I recognise the cost to society and so think it's a good idea.

Perhaps I could be given a 'he's healthy' card to use at the supermarket which means I pay less tax on sugary or fatty foods...