Where To Look For Admission Records For Asylums?

Will they be on any of the census returns? You can get them up to 1911 I think..it depends how far back you want to go.. maybe ancestry.co.uk has them..? There's a National Archives page here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/asylum-inmates/

The period the person was in the Asylum was 1950/60s so any census in this case will not be available to help due to the 100 year rule. Also its unlikely that any Asylum patients would be voting as they were not allowed out of the building, thanks for the suggestions.

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 18:38 ----------

Sheffield Archives hold them but you have to get permission for them to be searched.

Archive staff will give you all the information you need.

Will look into this, but what Iv found out so far is because the admission was in more recent times its more likely that the NHS holds the records and what Iv gathered it gets complicated.

The period the person was in the Asylum was 1950/60s so any census in this case will not be available to help due to the 100 year rule. Also its unlikely that any Asylum patients would be voting as they were not allowed out of the building, thanks for the suggestions.

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 18:38 ----------

Will look into this, but what Iv found out so far is because the admission was in more recent times its more likely that the NHS holds the records and what Iv gathered it gets complicated.

I researched some records from the 1940s.

There are several different sets of records and permission to have them searched has to be obtained.

Archive staff do the actual searching of the records.

Speak to the staff at Sheffield Archives.

I presume you are referring to Sheffield records.