Snooker Hall on Burgess Street

Is the snooker hall still there or is that now relegated to just a memory of a bygone era. I remember it being run by an old lady and her not so young daughter. In 1966 I wagged school for a couple of weeks and hung out there cleaning the tables and playing against anyone who was game to be beaten by a fourteen year old. Never made my fortune out of it though, "a miss spent youth" I think my parents called it. Making memories is what it was.

I used to hang about one on London Road,my father was a good billiards player but useless at snooker. I played for the Washington Arms team in the late 40s early 50s. One of the better players in Sheffield was a man called Zeffers he worked on the trams or buses.

I used to hang about one on London Road,my father was a good billiards player but useless at snooker. I played for the Washington Arms team in the late 40s early 50s. One of the better players in Sheffield was a man called Zeffers he worked on the trams or buses.

I think it was Jack Seffers and you are correct he was a bus driver who played for Firth Park workingmens club when they and Darnall Liberal workingmens club dominated Sheffield league snooker in the years you have mentioned

Is the snooker hall still there or is that now relegated to just a memory of a bygone era. I remember it being run by an old lady and her not so young daughter. In 1966 I wagged school for a couple of weeks and hung out there cleaning the tables and playing against anyone who was game to be beaten by a fourteen year old. Never made my fortune out of it though, "a miss spent youth" I think my parents called it. Making memories is what it was.
Hi I used to play there during early years of the war six of us used to play chase the green , I recall once just needing 2 to win the pot which was a big one cos we had been playing all morn, I got the cannon ok but also a ball went in, I WAS SO MAD I hit the cue on the table , it broke, had to borrow to pay, got into a violent row with dad for being late for sun; dinner, Idid not play again for years till I learned to control my temper.HAPPY DAYS. ARTHUR.

That brings memories, I once played Jack Seffers

when I was reserve for the Earl of Arundle team Ibeat him by 2 [because of the handicap], but as you say he was very good. Arthur. HE was a bus driver and played for their team.

That brings memories, I once played Jack Seffers

when I was reserve for the Earl of Arundle team Ibeat him by 2 [because of the handicap], but as you say he was very good. Arthur. HE was a bus driver and played for their team.

I also played at Langtons hall every thurs night for 6ys

Archived