Bailiffs coming tomorrow

That trouble is usually self-inflicted, however. Like e.g. speeding in a limited speed area, parking where one shouldn't or failing to pay (sufficient-) parking fees.

err excuse me L00b, I poked a dig at you in post 59 which you seem to have ignored. I'm hoping you just missed it rather than decided to rise above it. Can you address this immediately please otherwise you waste peoples time. Thanks.

That trouble is usually self-inflicted, however. Like e.g. speeding in a limited speed area, parking where one shouldn't or failing to pay (sufficient-) parking fees.

True.

I'm just saying that they can mount up for fairly minor transgressions, and wreak havoc in a tight budget. And of course, if you don't pay them / can't pay them, they grow to very significant proportions very quickly.

I'm just saying that they can mount up for fairly minor transgressions, and wreak havoc in a tight budget.
So, the obvious conclusions are, try hard not to transgress and, if you're cash-strapped, try harder still.

And of course, if you don't pay them / can't pay them, they grow to very significant proportions very quickly.
I've yet to learn about a cash-strapped person who engaged with the procedure normally, and was not granted a payment plan, before any need of red letters and bailiffs.

But I've known a fair few who have just wished it away, wedged their head firmly in the sand, only to eventually get it forcefully kicked up and out by bailiffs. Possibly like the OP.

It's long been public notoriety that the (relatively) low level of FPN amounts is low precisely to incentivise prompt acceptance and payment, and so avoid escalating costs of enforcement/procedure. But if people don't engage with the procedure, other people have to be involved and work to enforce the fine, and they need to eat sometime too, so need paying.

You're not suggesting that cash-strapped people should have reduced fines, per chance, are you? :suspect:

Edited by L00b

So, the obvious conclusions are, try hard not to transgress and, if you're cash-strapped, try harder still.

I've yet to learn about a cash-strapped person who engaged with the procedure normally, and was not granted a payment plan, before any need of red letters and bailiffs.

But I've known a fair few who have just wished it away, wedged their head firmly in the sand, only to eventually get it forcefully kicked up and out by bailiffs. Possibly like the OP.

It's long been public notoriety that the (relatively) low level of FPN amounts is low precisely to incentivise prompt acceptance and payment, and so avoid escalating costs of enforcement/procedure. But if people don't engage with the procedure, other people have to be involved and work to enforce the fine, and they need to eat sometime too, so need paying.

You're not suggesting that cash-strapped people should have reduced fines, per chance, are you? :suspect:

No, as you say, dealt with early the problem doesn't arise, and payment plans are usually available, but some people live chaotic lives, have multiple problems and find dealing with things promptly a problem.

Not an excuse, just saying.

As for not transgressing in the first place you are also right, (if not a tad smug.) However, I do think that in some circumstances, fines have become a way of raising income for councils and are designed to trap, rather than modify behaviour, and can be unreasonable. I believe the charges are excessive in some instances - the punishment does not fit the crime...

New laws and regulations seem to flow with increasing regularity, which suggests to me that some people are trying to justify their jobs...

Edited by Anna B

As for not transgressing in the first place you are also right, (if not a tad smug.)
I'll accept 'self-righteous' at a stretch ('principled' actually, though that may be deemed self-serving)...but not 'smug', as Lord knows I've taken my fair share of medicine over the years and certainly don't have anything to be smug about as regards fines ;)

Only ever got one parking fine in 24 years of driving, from SCC (who else). It was deserved (small side road down side of Richersounds, permit holders only, I didn't have a permit), and I paid it. I broke the parking rules for the sake of convenience and brevity (I was only nipping in for 5 mins), got caught, and fair's fair I paid the price tag on my momentary stupidity: it was much higher than if I'd bothered to push 50 yards higher up the road to the small car park and fed the meter for the minimum unit of time.

The fines have to have an amount that acts as a deterrent, even at their lowest level. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Edited by L00b

I'll accept 'self-righteous' at a stretch ('principled' actually, though that may be deemed self-serving)...but not 'smug', as Lord knows I've taken my fair share of medicine over the years and certainly don't have anything to be smug about as regards fines ;)

Only ever got one parking fine in 24 years of driving, from SCC (who else). It was deserved (small side road down side of Richersounds, permit holders only, I didn't have a permit), and I paid it. I broke the parking rules for the sake of convenience and brevity (I was only nipping in for 5 mins), got caught, and fair's fair I paid the price tag on my momentary stupidity: it was much higher than if I'd bothered to push 50 yards higher up the road to the small car park and fed the meter for the minimum unit of time.

The fines have to have an amount that acts as a deterrent, even at their lowest level. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Yes, I meant 'self-righteous,' just couldn't think of the word. Mind went blank, a senior moment...:hihi:

Some of the holier than thou replies on this thread are disgusting. Really disgusting

OP, i genuinly hope you get it sorted in a positive way. If i had the money id help out in fact on opening another browser window and checking my bank i have 60 quid, ill split it with you. I know its not much but its the best i can do

i wouldnt. should learn a lesson.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 13:27 ----------

I know it costs, but its not too much (£60 for the year), but when you move, always set up a Royal Mail redirect for the first six months at least. Don't expect the new owners to forward on your mail. And there's always one company, service or provider you forget to notify.

The last time I moved, despite notifying the council and water company and having confirmation, both sent threatening letters for non payment, despite being told that I'd moved.

but they knew they owed 550. not something you forget. they were just being evasive.

What amazes me on this thread are the number of people giving advice on how to avoid payment to the bailiffs.

Very few are expressing opinions or criticism on why the fine was not paid in the first place.

to be fair i offered constructive advice on how to deal with bailiffs. my patience ran out at 'would hock car at cash convertors'. that just says they are irresponsible with money tbh. and no good advice will help because you cant fix stupid ;)

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 13:33 ----------

i like you. not smug at all. :cool:

Edited by TJC1
wtf?