Should doctors work at the weekend?

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

Ooo, look at you all trying to find an angle to try to be right about something, anything. Registrars are still training under supervision.

There was a bit of blindingly obvious hyperbole (look up the big word on Google) on my part but you're still wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong and obsessively pernickety in a way that looks a bit autistic, which I'm sure you're not, but that's how it comes across.

Good day. :D

Edited by Eric Arthur

Yes!! My wife works for the NHS She is big up the ladder so to speak. And when she says it is a shambles then it is. They should be working weekends simple.

If she's 'big up the ladder' she will have absolutely no idea about what happens on the shop floor where the real work is done.

Now the Tories are in the chair I suspect that your wife may have a long way to fall off the ladder when the freeloaders at the top of said ladder are creamed off.

Personally - I think it can't happen soon enough.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 18:19 ----------

You are still wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. It looks like you are a nurse or something similar but you really don't know that a registrar is in training and under supervision. It's not CPD.

This isn't even semantics, it's just a plain fact that you're completely wrong. Don't come back with the same response until you've checked facts. :)

Since I work closely with a number of Registrars every day of my working life and have done for over 30 years I can reassure you that there is no need for me to check anything.

I am not wrong and that's the end of the matter really.

You check your facts matey.:rolleyes:

Regards

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 18:27 ----------

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/22/nhs-doctor-posts-payslips-jeremy-hunt_n_7847662.html

Here's a letter and payslip from a consultant, just to prove again that they DO work weekends.

Indeed.

Consultants DO work weekends - and they work very hard too.

Edited by Daven

• 1 month later...

More bad news. Not enough consultants in hospitals, leaving registrars to do work that senior doctors should be doing, meaning that people are dying.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/05/bruce-keogh-hospital-patients-risk-death-admitted-weekends

NHS chief Bruce Keogh says patients admitted then tend to be more ill, but acknowledges fewer services available

Thousands of patients die every year after being admitted to hospital at the weekend, partly because too few senior doctors are on duty and back-up medical services are not available, dramatic new research shows.

About 11,000 more patients a year die within 30 days of going into hospital if they are admitted for treatment between Friday and Monday

Edited by Eric Arthur

Maybe, just maybe, if they didn't swagger in at 09:10 when their first appointment is booked in at 08:30 like my local GP did last week then maybe they'll be able to see all the patients in the week and we don't have to book appointments 3 weeks in advance.

Maybe, just maybe, if they didn't swagger in at 09:10 when their first appointment is booked in at 08:30 like my local GP did last week then maybe they'll be able to see all the patients in the week and we don't have to book appointments 3 weeks in advance.

What reason did the doctor give you when you asked why he was arriving late for surgery ?

I've put no because I don't think it's realistic with the current Tory government.

What will happen is they will force, or bribe the doctors to do it knowing that they can't. Then they will bring in private companies claiming the NHS 'isn't fit for purpose' and that's be another hammer blow to the whole idea.

I'm not stupid and neither should you all be.

There's an agenda here and it's not in our favour.

not enough trained doctors to work weekends, and the ones who are in training will be used to plug gaps which already exist, say medical council.

so, no we should keep it mon-fri.

---------- Post added 07-09-2015 at 10:24 ----------

Or maybe if all these idiots missing appointments actually made them we could have an NHS that runs properly.

If there's one thing you should have learned as an adult it is that the NHS will NEVER have enough of anything, apart from patients.

Therefore if you want it to do more you have to find ways of doing it with less. 7 day working is a much better way to stop people dying by using all the expensive equipment and buildings than having the standing idle just because consultants don't like change. Once you've got more efficient work patterns you can look at capital spending.