Should doctors work at the weekend?

Should doctors work at the weekend?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

in the 21st century pretty much everything is available 24/7 so why not doctors, why not work 6 days like most people do twice a month? people making excuses is an easy option . doctors get paid a good salary so should be flexible and by the way if the population of this country had not expanded so massively in recent years the overcrowding at doctors would be less.

i work 7 days most weeks in one way or another!

Most people don't work 6 days a week.

Does working 6 days a week, twice a month equate to a 40% increase in hours?

in the 21st century pretty much everything is available 24/7 so why not doctors, why not work 6 days like most people do twice a month? people making excuses is an easy option . doctors get paid a good salary so should be flexible and by the way if the population of this country had not expanded so massively in recent years the overcrowding at doctors would be less.

Cool, you happy to have the tired Doctor while I take the refreshed one?

i work 7 days most weeks in one way or another!

Don't we all in "one way or another", that doesn't mean it should be something to aspire to.

Nobody is asking doctors to work 7 days a week, but just to participate in rotas that provide 7 days a week cover, which considering people get ill 7 days a week, seems like a perfectly good idea to me.

Many professions have to cover 7 days a week, and it is an obligation that should simply be accepted as a matter of course in this case.

Whether we have enough doctors or enough finances to fulfill this obligation however, is another matter, but that is a problem for the politicians.

Re bib. This is the key, in my opinion.

People who get ill and need treating need an adequate quality of expertise there and then, so for them there should be 24/7 high level expertise. As I see it, this should apply to A & E situations. I'd assumed it did already. Also, the news article appears to specifically exclude emergencies, which made me assume that was already in place.

Similarly, people who are already under close care in hospital and who may deteriorate in a specific condition if not properly assessed on a regular or continuous basis should, in my opinion, have high level cover continuously available.

However, planned activities that can wait a few days can be planned to take place Monday to Friday, if we wish. There would be no additional risk to the patient by working a 5 day week. So for that reason, I don't see any need fore 24/7 operation. However, if a major part of the cost is related to the building and facilities, not the doctors, then there may be worthwhile financial benefits in working the facilities harder. For example, If a theatre for a particular operation costs say £10m for each year it is available, and the doctors and staff for a day shift cost £5m for the 250 x 8 hour shifts per year, (total cost £15m),then if we had a night shift as well, we could double the number of patients treated for just £5m more.

Also I assume that the news item excluded GPs.

It was just on the news that doctors have been given 6 weeks to agree with the government. If they don't agree they government will impose 7 day doctoring anyway.

The poll has 95% in favour of doctors working weekends. Jeremy Hunt is on to a winner.

Cool, you happy to have the tired Doctor while I take the refreshed one?

Don't we all in "one way or another", that doesn't mean it should be something to aspire to.

total rubbish, GPs do far less than they ever did, years ago you got house calls as the norm especially for kids, everyone gets tired if they work hard and in a perfect world a fresh doctor would be great, but this is the real world, just ask the hospital doctors trying to catch up when A&E is full of colds , flu and other minor stuff??

yes hard work is something to aspire to or were you not you taught that???

ok most people i know work 6 and 7 days from time to time and i dont see anything wrong with it.

So you're suggesting that the extra shifts be covered by overtime? Wouldn't this be even more expensive than taking on more staff to cover the extra 40% working hours?

So you're suggesting that the extra shifts be covered by overtime? Wouldn't this be even more expensive than taking on more staff to cover the extra 40% working hours?

i have never suggested that more staff shouldn't be taken on?? in fact a mix of more hours and more staff is the solution.

a GP can be likend to an executive in a company on a good salary , an executive would be expected and would expect to work extra when needed over and above contracted hours, when you are in a corporate position you act like it and dont bleat about a bit of overtime?

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 14:10 ----------

The poll is meaningless, it's too dumbed down to be of any value.

so are your comments so far:roll: