Should doctors work at the weekend?

Should doctors work at the weekend?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

Once more you miss the context, the post I replied to was talking about executives in corporate positions.

But YOU were talking about doctors.

On the other hand I was talking about business in comparison.

Heads I win tails you lose. Don't wriggle, you'll make the hook go in deeper.

But YOU were talking about doctors.

Don't wriggle, you'll make the hook go in deeper.

No wriggling. Someone posted a post stating in in the corporate world executives have to manage their unpaid overtime, so I asked how a business would manage if it's workload increased by 40% and suggested that we're not talking about a bit of overtime.

It's there in back and white. If you cannot understand this point, we are going to have to accept that because there is no point in going around and around in circles in some sort of cheap point scoring game.

As to your other sarcastic reply about people not being able to find out things for themselves. I asked for the context of the 15%, and said it's meaningless without this. You produced a piece of research, that doesn't provide the context for those deaths, it just confirms the number of deaths.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll nail my colours to the mast. I do think that the NHS's funding does need increasing so we can have more experienced staff on duty, when they're needed, with all the back up services.

This is not the same thing as the NHS offering a 7 day a week service though.

I'm just feeling a bit cheeky this afternoon. No offence is intended so I hope that none is taken. :)

No wriggling. Someone posted a post stating in in the corporate world executives have to manage their unpaid overtime, so I asked how a business would manage if it's workload increased by 40%

Who is saying that the workload is increasing by 40%? It's the availability over 7 days that's changing from what I have read, meaning that the same number of doctors are spread over 7 days instead of 5 days.

Did I miss where Jeremy Hunt said that doctors had to work more, or did he just say that he wants them to work over 7 days instead of 5?

This 40% guess looks increasingly like a man made of straw unless it's really used to talk about a 40% improvement of the efficiency of capital, equipment and premises employed.

Maybe they can't manage their workloads then. My partners sister is a teacher and her husband a principle English teacher. I can assure you their holidays are cram packed with activities. He even manages to play in a band at weekends, sometimes midweek.

Going into school whilst on holiday? Never.

So tell me ... when do they get all the extra work done which is on top of their normal school work ? such as marking, writing 30 odd reports, getting classrooms cleared and then set up again for the new class ? Is this all done in school time when they should be actually teaching the pupils ? Anybody can do that !!

Anyway this is off topic.

You produced a piece of research, that doesn't provide the context for those deaths

It does for me and I've only skimmed it. Why doesn't it for you? I've provided the actual evidence you asked for in the shape of the actual published peer reviewed study that the 15% came from, where's your evidence to counter it?

I'm just feeling a bit cheeky this afternoon. No offence is intended so I hope that none is taken. :)

Who is saying that the workload is increasing by 40%? It's the availability over 7 days that's changing from what I have read, meaning that the same number of doctors are spread over 7 days instead of 5 days.

Did I miss where Jeremy Hunt said that doctors had to work more, or did he just say that he wants them to work over 7 days instead of 5?

This 40% guess looks increasingly like a man made of straw unless it's really used to talk about a 40% improvement of the efficiency of capital, equipment and premises employed.

Unless they're talking about about about reducing services during the week to allow more services to be done at the weekend I'm struggling to see how they can square the circle. For me the worry is that it is going to be done on the cheap.

The 40% figure comes from each working day being 20% of the workload on a 5 day week.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 17:03 ----------

It does for me and I've only skimmed it. Why doesn't it for you? I've provided the actual evidence you asked for in the shape of the actual published peer reviewed study that the 15% came from, where's your evidence to counter it?

I've not attempted to counter the 15% figure. I was talking about the context that it occurred in. For example, what if a lack of diagnostic services was causing the problem, would increasing the amount of consultants available cure this problem?

why not work 6 days like most people do twice a month?

What? Who does this? Nobody I know.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 17:37 ----------

What we now need is the figures stating just how many hours in total the average doctor puts in each week. At the surgery that I attend it is open 4 and a half day week and has 4 doctors. Each doctor does a total of 2 and a half days in the surgery so its more like job-share.

Perhaps someone can also clear this up.. Do surgeries get paid per number registered on the books or per visit?

You've got a remarkably detailed understanding of these doctors lives, all based on being a patient occasionally.

So tell me ... when do they get all the extra work done which is on top of their normal school work ? such as marking, writing 30 odd reports, getting classrooms cleared and then set up again for the new class ? Is this all done in school time when they should be actually teaching the pupils ? Anybody can do that !!

Anyway this is off topic.

They obviously get their work done throughout the working week, in school and possibly at home after school, but not in the meagre holidays the poor souls get.

Like I said, prioritise their workload and stop whinging.

My thoughts on this topic- Hospitals need enough docs on hand 24/7.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 17:37 ----------

You've got a remarkably detailed understanding of these doctors lives, all based on being a patient occasionally.

Yep, and also a bit of common sense and while not being a patient doing some research. Now how about helping out on the last sentence of mine instead of doing the normal and just criticising others posts?