Is it feasible to scrap student fees?

Perhaps I haven't yet formed an opinion on the idea...

If it's many thousands of many millions every year, then it's a trivially small number, and we in return get many thousands coming to the UK who were educated elsewhere. So that sounds like a fair swap...

so you would be ok with the folk who are already paying their own tuition fees for degrees they have already obtained getting stuck with the cost of paying the tuiton fees of folk who get free university education in future.

I'd have been happy if tuition fee's had continued to be paid for from general taxation as they were in the past.

i seem to remember 40 years ago there were around 5000 university students in sheffield. that number in now more than 60,000 and the £9000/student/year fees don't even cover the costs. where would you cut spending in order to fund the increased numbers.

as a matter of interest do you know how many students there are in the uk?

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 10:38 ----------

With tuition fees currently at £9,000, that £7 billion equals 777,777 students. Interesting when the latest figures for the numbers of new university students is at 412,170.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23809095

412,170 at £9,000 is £3.7 billion. Where is he getting the other £3.3 billion pounds from? Why once again do I not trust any monetary figures being quoted by a Labour MP?

don't students have to pay fees every year?

Edited by drummonds

Finland, as I understand it, has a very good standard of living and what appears to be a social conscience ( a phenomenon somewhat lacking in Westminster) and manages to not only provide maternity packs containing necessary items for the newborn babies (blankets clothes etc) but also manages to provide fee-free higher education.

That can't be the revenue he's talking about. That money goes from the government, in loans to students, and then direct to universities.

There's no loss to the government if they start paying it directly.

The loss would come in the future, because it's not a loan any more and won't get repaid.

Student loans aren't repaid over 3 years though, and many graduates will never repay them. So they already can't be expecting to get back the entire amount lent out.

So.. is the 7 billion the projected repayment interest on current loans? So not 7 billion a year saving, just 7 billion full stop, with no indication of how long it would take for his proposed changes to actually equal the costs of grants and how they scale. It's not exactly clear what this 7 billion actually is apart from sounding like a figure plucked out of thin air :/