Tescos Online Grocery, minimum spend going up to 40 pounds

Just been announced that unless you spend 40 pounds minimum for your food delivery, you will have to pay 4 pounds for delivery. It used to be 25 pounds. This could affect a lot of disabled people, etc who rely on this service, though often you could spend 3 pounds if there were no cheaper slots and I suppose its cheaper than return taxis, etc,

but still think it will rankle with many.

I don't shop at Tesco very often online, but I do use Asda. I know their minimum order value is £25 but on top of that you've always had to pay somewhere between £2 and £4 for delivery, unless you buy a delivery pass which is £2 per month for unlimited deliveries, but then you have to spend a minimum of £40 to be able to use it, which I always do anyway.

Just been announced that unless you spend 40 pounds minimum for your food delivery, you will have to pay 4 pounds for delivery.

This is NOT a delivery charge, it's a minimum basket charge.

The minimum basket charge is a £4 charge that's added to all online orders where the basket value is under £25.

LINK

You still have to pay delivery costs on top of that (starting at £1).

You may be confusing this basket charge with the minimum spend required if a customer is signed up for Delivery Saver.

For £60 a year (or £30 if you had a voucher, like I did :D) you get free deliveries for a year. One delivery per day maximum.

Previously you had to spend at least £25 to qualify for your free delivery but this is being raised to £40.

So if I put in one big order per week, I still save my normal £4 delivery costs, which comes to £208 per year. Minus the £30 cost of the scheme still leaves a saving of £178.

You can save money on deliveries with Tesco but they won't do it all for you.

wow, I didn't realise this, so from now on, if you say spend only 30 pounds, you will have to pay 4 pounds basket charge and delivery which can be 3 or four pounds.

---------- Post added 17-07-2015 at 11:46 ----------

I don't shop at Tesco very often online, but I do use Asda. I know their minimum order value is £25 but on top of that you've always had to pay somewhere between £2 and £4 for delivery, unless you buy a delivery pass which is £2 per month for unlimited deliveries, but then you have to spend a minimum of £40 to be able to use it, which I always do anyway.

Would you say ASDA(walmart) is better than Tesco, quality, range, price, etc?

Worth every penny of a £2-4 delivery so I don't have to waste my free time and walk round one of those bloody awful supermarkets.

People enjoy it!! How?? Why?? :hihi:

I can see why there should be a minimum spend but also think £25 is plenty. Push the minimum spend up, push people away.