Atheism the Belief

Or (continuing from my previous post), to distract from the fact that to both not be unsure about whether there is a god and to not believe there is a god requires a belief that there isn't a god

How so? Can you explain how that works?

(did you mean to use a double negative there?)

How so? Can you explain how that works?

(did you mean to use a double negative there?)

Yes I did mean to, because it's very difficult to represent the incoherence of what you're suggesting otherwise. In terms of explaining how it works, I have done - you rejecting or asking me to explain "how it works" requires me to delve into your level of incoherence - my very point is that it doesn't work.

It's interesting that Huxley, who you hold up for your definition of atheism coined "agnostic" in rejection of atheism, for the very reason that atheists felt they had 'attained a certain "gnosis"'.

It means you believe there is no God. It doesn't mean you can prove there isn't one.

Call it what you like, but if you're using an evidence base, I would suggest you're an agnostic too. Possibly a selective one, if you're ruling them out one at a time! :)

It means I don't have a reason to believe that there are any gods.

Edited by SnailyBoy

They don't know enough to know one way or another, and are constantly changing their opinions on the subject, each new discovery leads them to even more questions, to believe they have all the answers is just a little naive of you.

At some point the evidence for one thing or another in science becomes so overwhelming that the chance of it being overturned is so minute that it can be safely neglected by any reasonable person.

There will indeed be further advances in human understanding of the universe. There have been several major ones in just the last 20 years.

Just one example is the fact that we recently discovered that gravity becomes repulsive over extremely large distances.

Some assumptions may be overturned, but not this. The idea of a deterministic universe was ruled out decades ago. There's no way to make a deterministic universe fit with experimental results.

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 17:23 ----------

Science doesn't run on proof, but on evidence.

As science has advanced, God has retreated into a definition which is untestable.

Anybody can come up with an untestable hypothesis. I give no more credence to the idea of the Abrahamic god than I do to the flying spaghetti monster.

Why believe something which by definition cannot be tested? It makes no sense.

At some point the evidence for one thing or another in science becomes so overwhelming that the chance of it being overturned is so minute that it can be safely neglected by any reasonable person.

There will indeed be further advances in human understanding of the universe. There have been several major ones in just the last 20 years.

Just one example is the fact that we recently discovered that gravity becomes repulsive over extremely large distances.

Some assumptions may be overturned, but not this. The idea of a deterministic universe was ruled out decades ago. There's no way to make a deterministic universe fit with experimental results.

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 17:23 ----------

Science doesn't run on proof, but on evidence.

As science has advanced, God has retreated into a definition which is untestable.

Anybody can come up with an untestable hypothesis. I give no more credence to the idea of the Abrahamic god than I do to the flying spaghetti monster.

Why believe something which by definition cannot be tested? It makes no sense.

A deterministic universe doesn't need a God, and its not possible to determine if the universe would be the same or different if time was rewound, it is possible to find explanations for some things that appear random and I do accept that some apparent random events are for now without explanation, but that doesn't mean they will always be without explanation. There is also no reason to assume that an event that looks random would pan out differently if time was rewound.