Atheism the Belief

An absence of opinion does not describe atheism though, which is what is being claimed. (And that would make the absence of opinion different to disbelief, which would be the equivalent of belief of the opposite in the case of a binary issue).

I see what you did there, rather Smithesque

I'm not a theoretical physicist or cosmologist. I can only consider the evidence presented to me by the likes of Professor Hawking. His report clearly doesn't support your claim that the Universe is deterministic. So on what basis should I discuss it further?

What evidence has Professor Hawking presents that leads you to believe the universe is random and would play out differently if it was to start again from the same starting conditions?

The only basis for you to carry on discussing it is because you want to, but whatever you do is inevitable and couldn't be any different.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 17:01 ----------

You've observed a lot of quantum behaviour? You've investigated radioactive decay?

Or you think the universe is deterministic because at the level we exist it largely appears to be so when observed through our rather limited senses?

A universe that includes randomness at a very low level doesn't mean it becomes unpredictable on a macro scale. You've obviously not thought about it very much if that's as far as you've gone.

On the contrary, the universe appears to be random, the leaf falling from the tree, the choices you and I make all look random, but giving it some thought leads be to believe that it isn't random and realty is the only possible realty that could have happened, it couldn't have been any different because the universe is a deterministic system. If it replayed infinite times the result would always be the same.

What evidence has Professor Hawking presents that leads you to believe the universe is random and would play out differently if it was to start again from the same starting conditions?

The only basis for you to carry on discussing it is because you want to, but whatever you do is inevitable and couldn't be any different.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 17:01 ----------

On the contrary, the universe appears to be random, the leaf falling from the tree, the choices you and I make all look random, but giving it some thought leads be to believe that it isn't random and realty is the only possible realty that could have happened, it couldn't have been any different because the universe is a deterministic system. If it replayed infinite times the result would always be the same.

So, when do you anticipate being able to predict the future?

So, when do you anticipate being able to predict the future?

Whats makes you think that it would be possible to predict all future events in a deterministic universe, some are easy to predict and others have far too many variables to make an accurate prediction.

Whats makes you think that it would be possible to predict all future events in a deterministic universe, some are easy to predict and others have far too many variables to make an accurate prediction.

I don't think that. The same as Professor Hawking doesn't.

Interestingly, when I tried to view a Christian website (just now) I arrived at a page with this message-

You are not authorized to view this page

The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Limiting Access by IP Address, IP Address Access Restrictions, and About Custom Error Messages.

Does this mean that the gods of the internet have flagged me as a pesky atheist extremist no-gooder or is the answer something somewhat more mundane?

Interestingly, when I tried to view a Christian website (just now) I arrived at a page with this message-

Does this mean that the gods of the internet have flagged me as a pesky atheist extremist no-gooder or is the answer something somewhat more mundane?

Could be.

Try walking into a nearby church and see if you bounce off the doorway.

Check the sky first though. Wouldn't want Yahweh getting over-excited and throwing thunderbolts about.

This all reminds me of an old joke:

Werner Heisenberg was driving down a motorway and got stopped by a policeman.

Policeman: "Sir, do you know that you were doing exactly 82 miles per hour".

Heisenberg: "Oh great, now I'm lost".

It's something more mundane. God knows how much people wearing hats are awesome and deserve to enter that site, and you're not wearing a hat.