Nhs wasting money or is it?

So, how would you differentiate between the injured drunks who are victims of violence and the injured drunks who has caused the violence?

tI don't know. I don't work in the police or front line A&E.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:07 ----------

My own personal thoughts, are a drunken idiot is a drunken idiot. fine them all for wasting public money and preventing services from treating people or solving / preventing proper crimes.

Treat the injuries but not the hangover then. All hospitals are nice and quiet places where you can nurse a hangover in peace of course I'm sure they'd be back like a shot :D

Doesn't work like that though does it??

Someone staggers into A&E and slumps into a chair, fall unconscious and are too drunk to wake/communicate coherently.

The doctors have a duty of care to that person, they can't assume they are just drunk they have to try and make an assessment as well as offering medical support.

That means they get taken off to a bed, get a full check over, lines in and fluids in, they might even get taken over for imaging.

Costs hundreds, if not thousands per visit.

"If you go out and intoxicate yourself to dangerous levels

Suggest a level that's dangerous then?

What if I drink a couple fo shandies and a fight kicks off and I get glassed?

What if I rescue someone getting glassed and get cut in the process?

What if I'm walking home after a few pints and I'm hit by an errant meteorite? Or I step into a large hole that wasnt there this morning and fall in?

Where do you draw the line?

Or should we all hide in the basement worried that a Bad Man is going to come and Do Things to us with a glass that wont be covered by the NI and taxes that we have already paid?

What if I drink a couple fo shandies and a fight kicks off and I get glassed?

What if I rescue someone getting glassed and get cut in the process?

What if I'm walking home after a few pints and I'm hit by an errant meteorite? Or I step into a large hole that wasnt there this morning and fall in?

Where do you draw the line?

Or should we all hide in the basement worried that a Bad Man is going to come and Do Things to us with a glass that wont be covered by the NI and taxes that we have already paid?

maybe it was a hillwalker, had too many weak lemon drinks - they can get rather tasty.

Someone staggers into A&E and slumps into a chair, fall unconscious and are too drunk to wake/communicate coherently.

The doctors have a duty of care to that person, they can't assume they are just drunk they have to try and make an assessment as well as offering medical support.

That means they get taken off to a bed, get a full check over, lines in and fluids in, they might even get taken over for imaging.

The thing is, people do die when they're drunk and they fall into a very deep sleep/unconscious. Aspiration is a very serious and real risk.

OMG some common sense! let me shake you by the hand sir....:P

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:15 ----------

But seriously, people going out getting ****** up and in fights or just generally falling about the streets being sick are a menace.

or do you condone that behaviour?

The thing is, people do die when they're drunk and they fall into a very deep sleep/unconscious. Aspiration is a very serious and real risk.

They are also quite likely to fall over, and hit their head on something.

Which is part of the problem, the doctors must treat everyone as if they've injured themselves.

So while there might be one person in there who drunk and injured, there will be 10 others who are just drunk idiots.

They all get a bed for the night, they all get medical attention, and a good number will get a head scan thrown in to check they're ok.

maybe it was a hillwalker, had too many weak lemon drinks - they can get rather tasty.

Are you going to actually answer the question or is this going to be more tedious rubbish from you?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:19 ----------

OMG some common sense! let me shake you by the hand sir....:P

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:15 ----------

But seriously, people going out getting ****** up and in fights or just generally falling about the streets being sick are a menace.

or do you condone that behaviour?

Answer the question. Suggest a level that's dangerous then? (and quit with the strawman)

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 15:20 ----------

Sadly yes. I'd love a way for them to appreciate that they did drink a little too much, but there's no way of doing that consistent with appropriate medical care. Of course some people on here think anyone going near the demon drink brings it on themselves. I thought the Puritans were long gone...

They are also quite likely to fall over, and hit their head on something.

Which is part of the problem, the doctors must treat everyone as if they've injured themselves.

So while there might be one person in there who drunk and injured, there will be 10 others who are just drunk idiots.

They all get a bed for the night, they all get medical attention, and a good number will get a head scan thrown in to check they're ok.

It's also probably more cost effective to nip things in the bud before people get seriously ill, and require very expensive treatment, and expensive aftercare.