Nhs wasting money or is it?

I remember this article in a newspaper, a quote from Tony Benn which I think sums it up nicely.

The NHS held a boat race against a Japanese crew and after Japan won by a mile, a working party found the winners had 18 people rowing and one steering while the NHS had eighteen steering and one rowing. So the NHS spent £5 million on consultants, forming a restructured crew of four assistant steering managers; three deputy managers and a director of steering services. The rower was given an incentive to row harder. They held another race and lost by two miles. So the NHS fired the rower for poor performance, sold the boat and used the proceeds to pay a bonus to the director of steering services.”

My point is that - your suggestion that rationing healthcare on what you deem to be acceptable or non-acceptable behaviour is unworkable at best.

I didnt say 'ration' healthcare. NHS should be free at the point of service for those who need it with a few notable exceptions.

you said what about those who eat loads of sugar at dangerous levels and get fat, i said ZERO tolerance.

As stated, I would fine drunks and criminals.

Completely workable.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:14 ----------

call it a 'surcharge'. Maybe it will even help people think about the choices they make. But we are in britain so maybe not.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:15 ----------

example....you get drunk and have to be arrested - FINED.

you get drunk and cause injury - FINED

Edited by TJC1

So lets get this right. You put forward an argument, I examine the argument and you think that this is unacceptable?

I've stated my position in full - by all means debate away.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:17 ----------

He's trolling. That's all. He's a bored keyboard wannabe warrior just out for fits and giggles.

Im the only one putting a point of view across. You're trolling me!

I didnt say 'ration' healthcare. NHS should be free at the point of service for those who need it with a few notable exceptions.

you said what about those who eat loads of sugar at dangerous levels and get fat, i said ZERO tolerance.

As stated, I would fine drunks and criminals.

Completely workable.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:14 ----------

call it a 'surcharge'. Maybe it will even help people think about the choices they make. But we are in britain so maybe not.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:15 ----------

example....you get drunk and have to be arrested - FINED.

you get drunk and cause injury - FINED

You get drunk and someone injures you -FINED no, not fined. Erm......

I've stated my position in full - by all means debate away.

Is that you position in full! I'd suggest that your position requires a little more detail for clarification purposes at least. For example:

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:20 ----------

....you get drunk and have to be arrested - FINED.

What if your released without charge? Fined or not fined?

Is that you position in full! I'd suggest that your position requires a little more detail for clarification purposes at least. For example:

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:20 ----------

What if your released without charge? Fined or not fined?

well obviously no fine, you are free to go

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:23 ----------

You get drunk and someone injures you -FINED no, not fined. Erm......

so then the police come and establish who did what, and we go from there.....

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:24 ----------

In a nutshell the perpetrator bares the brunt of the costs - maybe throw some restorative justice in there too for good measure...

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 16:27 ----------

likewise gastric band - PAY UP

illness caused by smoking - PAY UP

It sounds harsh but thats life...

well obviously no fine, you are free to go

Ok so now you've dropped the - 'you get drunk and have to be arrested - FINED' part of your plan.

So maybe a more workable proposal would be that maybe any punishment that you get when you're found guilty of a crime, should take into account any treatment that you needed by the NHS as a result of committing the crime.

Edited by JFKvsNixon