No benefit entitlement for under 25s : so what happens to them ?

They clearly haven't as the country is in massive debt. On average they have took out far more than they put in.

The young are puting more in and taking less out, they are paying for their education for starters, higher NI etc.

Our debt is down to poor Government, its the rich that pay most of the money into the system; most oldies get more out than they put in.

Its just a matter of working out what is fair.

All people should be guaranteed somewhere warm and safe to sleep, a base from where they can work.

I hear this frequently. I`ve got nothing against older folks, but that comment is assuming all of them worked hard all their lives and paid loads of tax and didn`t claim anything (incl NHS care) before and didn`t do anything negative for society either. Isn`t that a bit of an unlikely generalisation ? You`re also forgetting that younger people may not have done as much of any of the above because they haven`t had the chance yet (being young and more likely to be unemployed).

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 17:33 ----------

Can`t argue with that.

Pensioners have paid into the system one way or another all their lives, with taxes, hard work (and I mean real graft, down mines, steelworks, etc. and paid into pensions.

There's a prevailing view that all OAPs are loaded, but according to yesterday's DM 1.6 million pensioners are living in poverty.

Why keep looking for groups to blame; first the unemployed, now pensioners, neither the most advantaged of people are they? Look to the real culprits: tax dodging corporations, bankers, and 50 years of poor government...

What happens to those young people unable to find work? Even temporarily? Not everyone has family to fall back on. Others have family who are simply unable to help due to their own financial/ housing/ health situations.

Pensioners have paid into the system one way or another all their lives, with taxes, hard work (and I mean real graft, down mines, steelworks, etc. and paid into pensions.

There's a prevailing view that all OAPs are loaded, but according to yesterday's DM 1.6 million pensioners are living in poverty.

Why keep looking for groups to blame; first the unemployed, now pensioners, neither the most advantaged of people are they? Look to the real culprits: tax dodging corporations, bankers, and 50 years of poor government...

Nobody is looking for groups "to blame", and nobody is saying all pensioners are loaded, far from it. But everyone knows that the young have suffered disproportionally in this economic downturn and from the government cuts. They also know, including you I`m sure, that older folks /pensioners have been cushioned from it far more than any other group. They have a triple lock on the state pension to ensure it goes up more than inflation (either measure) or average wages which ever is the greater at a time when we`re being told huge cuts are required. In fact the same government that is handing out cash to pensioners like its going out of fashion are trying to not only cut benefits to the young but actually take away any meagre benefits they get.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 09:34 ----------

What happens to those young people unable to find work? Even temporarily? Not everyone has family to fall back on. Others have family who are simply unable to help due to their own financial/ housing/ health situations.

Exactly. People over 18 are supposed to be independent (as in their parents are not responsible for them), as far as I know they`re kicked out of care homes at that age aren`t they ? If that`s the case the government are stinking hypocrites trying to have it both ways.

Edited by Justin Smith

No jobs, No jobs … That is what we hear.... > I say Yes we do Yes we do! . Up all night playing Xbox … Play station. Sex chat etc, etc, Get to bed get up and get a job!

Unfortunately you saying it doesn't make it so.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 09:49 ----------

Because being unemployed is a new thing entirely...

give the young folk a chance. oldies had their time and young folk are the future!

So at what point does an OLDIE who is an employer chuck it in .And what happens to the people he employs when he does .Did'nt think of that did you

NO i did'nt think so.:huh:

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 22:28 ----------

our debt is down to poor government, its the rich that pay most of the money into the system; most oldies get more out than they put in.

Its just a matter of working out what is fair.

All people should be guaranteed somewhere warm and safe to sleep, a base from where they can work.

crap!!!!!!!!!

Nobody is looking for groups "to blame", and nobody is saying all pensioners are loaded, far from it. But everyone knows that the young have suffered disproportionally in this economic downturn and from the government cuts. They also know, including you I`m sure, that older folks /pensioners have been cushioned from it far more than any other group. They have a triple lock on the state pension to ensure it goes up more than inflation (either measure) or average wages which ever is the greater at a time when we`re being told huge cuts are required. In fact the same government that is handing out cash to pensioners like its going out of fashion are trying to not only cut benefits to the young but actually take away any meagre benefits they get.

Exactly. People over 18 are supposed to be independent (as in their parents are not responsible for them), as far as I know they`re kicked out of care homes at that age aren`t they ? If that`s the case the government are stinking hypocrites trying to have it both ways.

It seems that people are looking for groups to blame; the unemployed, all grouped together as 'scroungers' in spite of very few of them being in that catagory - if that's not picking on a group, I don't know what is. And I've notiiced the old coming in for unpleasant criticism on a number of threads

The government stopped under 35s from claiming housing benefit if they lived in a self contained flat a few years ago, and that hasn't helped free up one bedroom properties.

Probably because that stoppage doesn't apply to housing association or council properties.

It seems that people are looking for groups to blame; the unemployed, all grouped together as 'scroungers' in spite of very few of them being in that catagory - if that's not picking on a group, I don't know what is. And I've noticed the old coming in for unpleasant criticism on a number of SF threads, most of it wholly unwarranted.

I know young people are suffering in this downturn, but so are the old. Far from having cash showered on them, the old are at the sharp end of no end of cuts in health and social care, leaving many of them in dire straits. Young people will not have noticed these as they are usually fit and healthy and have no need of them. You might also have heard of everything old people have ever worked for, their homes and life savings, being taken from OAPs to pay for extortionate care home costs (average £2,500 a month - more than most of them will ever have earned in their lives.)

As for pensions, today's pensioners will remain on £113 per week state pension for the rest of their lives, rather than the new £150 enjoyed by the next generation of pensioners - and in spite of what Cameron says, it will NOT be made up to the higher rate in the vast majority of cases. That's just more despicable double speak from Cameron. And I have my doubts that the £150 will actually be an increase in real terms; George Osborne is notorious for giving with one hand and taking back with the other...

I wish people, the old and the young together, would work towards changng things to make them fairer for everybody, and to get rid of this iniquitous government, rather than fight amongst themselves and allow the real culprits to get away with murder....

Edited by Anna B
, the old and the young together