No benefit entitlement for under 25s : so what happens to them ?

To be frank I`m not even sure the Tories thought it a good idea. I reckon they just came up with a load of targeted policies (to increase their vote) and never thought they`d have to enact them. They could just blame the Liberals for blocking them. The problem was the Liberals didn`t get enough seats to have any influence whatsoever. I`m sure the Liberals would also have blocked a huge increase in the inheritance tax threshold and abolition of benefits for under 21s etc etc. I don`t know about you but I`m already looking back to the Lib Con coalition as almost a Golden Age, certainly compared to what we`ve got.....

I remember when they first came out with the idea (pre-election) - it was met with a resounding "youwhat?!" from pretty much all quarters, as far as I can tell. So much to sort out, so much to put in an election campaign and that's what they came up with? Might as well have campaigned on "Free jelly for nuns". Sorry about that. Not sure where that came from.....

All these wage calculations are all very well (even if the job is for the full 40 hours) but what if the person doesn`t have a job ? Many employers are a bit dubious about employing someone with no address. I`d still like to know where exactly the government would expect an 18 year old (who is kicked out of home or whatever) to live until he/she gets a job, assuming they can get a 40hr a week job anyway of course........

Why don't you go down the housing office and ask??

I haven`t got the time, I`ve got a business to run....... A business I might not have ever started had the benefit system (back in 1992) not helped give me the confidence to pack in my job. That`s my whole point.

Well it is certainly possible my daughter has friends of the ages 19/20 that have low income jobs but share flats houses quite happily with money to spare for nights out. Don't forget most of us on here started out on low income when we had our first jobs thats just how it goes. You move your way up the ladder as you get older and more experienced. The trouble with people these days they want to leave school and be handed a high paid job on a plate, reality check that really isn't going to happen most of the time.

But how possible is it to move up the McJob ladder? Yes they need managers, but that's only one out of maybe 20 workers. Are there that many career opportunities?

Many employers are a bit dubious about employing someone with no address..

Would anyone without a home tell that to someone who might given them a job?

I would just give them the address of my nearest relative or friend.

All these wage calculations are all very well (even if the job is for the full 40 hours) but what if the person doesn`t have a job ? Many employers are a bit dubious about employing someone with no address. I`d still like to know where exactly the government would expect an 18 year old (who is kicked out of home or whatever) to live until he/she gets a job, assuming they can get a 40hr a week job anyway of course........

Unless they are top priority (eg 'vulnerable') they will be effectively homeless. Option of sofa surfing, a hostel, or park bench.

But how possible is it to move up the McJob ladder? Yes they need managers, but that's only one out of maybe 20 workers. Are there that many career opportunities?

Most people who work there don't do it really all that long term - If you stick at it you can be promoted within a year or 2 x