No benefit entitlement for under 25s : so what happens to them ?

Most people who work there don't do it really all that long term - If you stick at it you can be promoted within a year or 2 x

Yes, I agree most don't stay long.

But then they tend to drift from one McJob to another and never get anywhere. Start at the bottom, you stay at the bottom. Career paths are very limited these days. Working your way up tends to be a thing of the past.

Could someone tell me exactly what would happen to an under 25 year old person when they`re no longer entitled to housing benefit ?

Let`s assume they don`t get on with their parents, or their parents don`t get on with them, or their parents move to the other end of the country, or their parents have died etc etc.

Bearing in mind that unemployment amongst the under 25s is the highest and even if they could get a job their pay is the lowest (not covered by the minimum wage etc) how would they get any accommodation ?

I`ll lay my cards on the table, I`m far from being a left winger, but I think it completely absurd that any benefits should be withdrawn for people under 25. That`s implying they`re not independent adults, and they`re totally dependent on their parents ! Yet they`re old enough to be called up to fight in a war in the (admittedly highly unlikely) event that was ever required, and given the vote etc etc as full members of society. But why stop at 25 anyway ? Why not make it 35 or even 45 ? ! ? If the Tories consider that people should rely on their parents to support them what`s the magic figure of 25 got to do with the price of fish ?

People under 21 will still be able to claim HB in certain circumstances.

However, many will be unaware of this and end up homeless.

This attack on the young is part of a wider attack on young people and indeed on the lower classes as a whole. The older generations are starting to look like very privileged generations, and selfish ones too. It is as if many do not care about their fellow citizens and children, as long as they are ok. We had a society where class wasn't important, and where people had social mobility, this has now gone, and instead of people trying to fight for such a society, it seems many are happy for there to be a lot of inequality as long as it does not affect them and their age group. Age discrimination in favour of the older more populus generations has occurred on large scale and is getting worse.

People need to stick up for each other. Old and young must work together. The old must fight on behalf of the young, else we will have many social problems in the coming years and decades.

The youth will feel marginalised and punished merely for being young, this will cause them to become angry with the state and the system, with their fellow citizens, their elders.

There will be repercussions. The destruction of the social contract will cause our youth to lose the respect for the elder generations, because no longer will they have made sacrifices to improve future generations living standards.

The coming generations will have no obligation to the state and to the people. They will be able to turn a blind eye to the struggles of the elderly and be able to refuse them help on the basis they are undeserving, as they did not provide the youth with opportunities to live a normal life. They will be able to turn their back on the country and move elsewhere, for a better life.

We reap what we sow, and if we (as a society) sow the seeds of discontent, poverty and inter-generational warfare, then that is what we shall reap (as a society).

People under 21 will still be able to claim HB in certain circumstances.

However, many will be unaware of this and end up homeless.

This attack on the young is part of a wider attack on young people and indeed on the lower classes as a whole. The older generations are starting to look like very privileged generations, and selfish ones too. It is as if many do not care about their fellow citizens and children, as long as they are ok. We had a society where class wasn't important, and where people had social mobility, this has now gone, and instead of people trying to fight for such a society, it seems many are happy for there to be a lot of inequality as long as it does not affect them and their age group. Age discrimination in favour of the older more populus generations has occurred on large scale and is getting worse.

People need to stick up for each other. Old and young must work together. The old must fight on behalf of the young, else we will have many social problems in the coming years and decades.

The youth will feel marginalised and punished merely for being young, this will cause them to become angry with the state and the system, with their fellow citizens, their elders.

There will be repercussions. The destruction of the social contract will cause our youth to lose the respect for the elder generations, because no longer will they have made sacrifices to improve future generations living standards.

The coming generations will have no obligation to the state and to the people. They will be able to turn a blind eye to the struggles of the elderly and be able to refuse them help on the basis they are undeserving, as they did not provide the youth with opportunities to live a normal life. They will be able to turn their back on the country and move elsewhere, for a better life.

We reap what we sow, and if we (as a society) sow the seeds of discontent, poverty and inter-generational warfare, then that is what we shall reap (as a society).

I don`t think you`ve mentioned one of the main reasons that older people are being treated so well by the government relative to younger people. Older people are far more likely to vote. This is why I despair when I hear people, particularly young people, saying I`m not going to vote, what difference does it make ? Well the difference is very obvious to everyone now........

... and older people have already PAID THEIR DUES to society thanks!

Now lets see the younger generation doing the same and then we'll talk.

They clearly haven't as the country is in massive debt. On average they have took out far more than they put in.

The young are puting more in and taking less out, they are paying for their education for starters, higher NI etc.

... and older people have already PAID THEIR DUES to society thanks!

Now lets see the younger generation doing the same and then we'll talk.

I hear this frequently. I`ve got nothing against older folks, but that comment is assuming all of them worked hard all their lives and paid loads of tax and didn`t claim anything (incl NHS care) before and didn`t do anything negative for society either. Isn`t that a bit of an unlikely generalisation ? You`re also forgetting that younger people may not have done as much of any of the above because they haven`t had the chance yet (being young and more likely to be unemployed).

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 17:33 ----------

They clearly haven't as the country is in massive debt. On average they have took out far more than they put in.

The young are puting more in and taking less out, they are paying for their education for starters, higher NI etc.

Can`t argue with that.

Removing housing benefit from under 21s will go a long way to free up one bedroom council properties for people to downsize due to the spare room subsidy.

The government stopped under 35s from claiming housing benefit if they lived in a self contained flat a few years ago, and that hasn't helped free up one bedroom properties.

Edited by poppet2