Is being Fat/Overweight more likely to affect working class ?

Would i be right in thinking that you are more likely to be fat/overweight if you are working class and of poor education/and/or come from an area of social housing. As opposed to someone who is middle class and professional?

Is being fat/overweight linked to poor education and where you live?

It is a common assumption, but I dont think its true. Being over weight can be due to driving every where, surely the poor have fewer cars.

Being fat could hamper a poor persons job opportunities, but richer people more likely to have sedentary jobs.

It is a common assumption, but I dont think its true. Being over weight can be due to driving every where, surely the poor have fewer cars.

Being fat could hamper a poor persons job opportunities, but richer people more likely to have sedentary jobs.

Richer people have gym memberships and can afford to eat healthily and pay for liposuction.

Poorer people can only afford frozen TV dinners and junk food and unhealthy sugar/fat/calorie fat-laden treats* from Job Lot / Jack Fultons / Poundland**

*nowt wrong with these in moderation.

**nowt wrong with these shops either

Richer people have gym memberships and can afford to eat healthily and pay for liposuction.

Poorer people can only afford frozen TV dinners and junk food and unhealthy sugar/fat/calorie fat-laden treats* from Job Lot / Jack Fultons / Poundland**

*nowt wrong with these in moderation.

**nowt wrong with these shops either

Eating healthily is no more expensive than eating unhealthily, and it's not neccesary to visit a gym to exercise.

Maybe some of the less well-off just don't have as much willpower as say, to borrow a phrase oft used on here, "young professionals", and that leads them to not putting as much effort in to stay in shape/learn as much/earn as much as the aforementioned "young professionals".

I'm fairly sure it's got not much to do with the cost of liposuction....

Look at pictures of working class people from 50-100 years ago. They're not fat.

Sedentary lifestyles, poor diet (i.e. one full of trans fats, sugar and carbs). And a generation of "working class" people who've never worked in their lives.

Conversely, many teenage scrotes and scallies seem to have about as much fat on them as a cold chip. Maybe it's all the weed they smoke? Perhaps someone should do a study?

Its a personal choice at the end of the day like smoking and drinking. We know its wrong but still do it. Jobless may do it out of depression, the working may do it out of stress. Or even vice versa. Its all down to the happiness index of a country sadly the UK is well down the list.

Eating healthily is no more expensive than eating unhealthily, and it's not neccesary to visit a gym to exercise.

Maybe some of the less well-off just don't have as much willpower as say, to borrow a phrase oft used on here, "young professionals", and that leads them to not putting as much effort in to stay in shape/learn as much/earn as much as the aforementioned "young professionals".

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

You can buy fresh fruit and veg for the same price as a large pizza, but the transport, preparation, cooking, storage of the ingredients can take a toll on more "vulnerable" folk. . .

Unless you're a Hollywood starlet with access to a dietician, personal trainer and chef on 24 x 7 callout (I'm thinking Gwyneth Paltrow), it's much easier to head down the chippy, or even get your takeaway home delivered instead :D

You still think women can shrink back into a size-6 bikini just weeks after giving birth by dieting ?!

Until the tragic death of Colin Hendry's wife following a botched liposuction operation, I thought so too :(

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/10/scotland-football-colin-hendry-wife

Look at pictures of working class people from 50-100 years ago. They're not fat.

Sedentary lifestyles, poor diet (i.e. one full of trans fats, sugar and carbs). And a generation of "working class" people who've never worked in their lives.

Conversely, many teenage scrotes and scallies seem to have about as much fat on them as a cold chip. Maybe it's all the weed they smoke? Perhaps someone should do a study?

I agree, it's a sweeping generalisation but it doesn't seem to hold much water when you look back over time.

It's also abit unfair to call all the dossers and scroungers as working class, as quite obviously they do no work.

i think it effects all people who dont move / inactive. so sedentary lifestyle make people fat more than working class.

obviously healthy food costs a little bit more in general but doesnt have to.

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 17:21 ----------

also the mass insurge of 'american' style food and portion. 3000 kcals donut burgers and the like. i cant remember this stuff being accessible by kids / adults, even 15 years ago.

---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 17:23 ----------

even george osborne had to go to a fat farm. he's on the 5:2 diet i believe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2582250/How-George-tightened-belt-Chancellors-5-2-diet-appears-working-looks-noticeably-slimmer-appearance-breakfast-TV.html

I disagree. Studies have been done that show that eating a healthy diet is beyond the pocket of many poorer people. Cooking skills are also at an all time low, especially among the young. And working people are also time poor.

I would also argue that self-esteem is also lower than in some upwardly mobile professional, and they do not take as much care of themselves as they should.

SIZE=1]---------- Post added 20-07-2015 at 18:01 ----------[/size]

Studies are being done as we speak. I'll try and find some links later.

Your generalisations about the working class 'never working' and being 'scrotes and scallies taking weed' are rather offensive, don't you think? Any wonder they have lower self esteem when this is how they are all regarded for the 'crime' of being poor?

Edited by Anna B