Is being Fat/Overweight more likely to affect working class ?

No. But poverty and obesity tend to go hand in hand in my experience.

Poverty is £20,000 a year? More leftist sensationalism from a familiar suspect. Words like "poverty" and "austerity" have been hijacked by the left to such an extent that it undermines the real meaning of the words.

Poverty is £20,000 a year? More leftist sensationalism from a familiar suspect. Words like "poverty" and "austerity" have been hijacked by the left to such an extent that it undermines the real meaning of the words.

I never said £20,000 a year equated to poverty. I said there were more poorer people than richer people illustrated by the fact there were more on £20K than £50k. Maybe I should have said 'a lot more less-well-off'

There are plenty of people on a lot less than £20,000, but I wouldn't know how the figures break down.

The average wage is supposed to be £24,000 I believe, (or is it £27,000) Either way, many people in Sheffield don't earn anything like that...

The same character flaws that make someone poor are also likely to make them fat. Lack of motivation being the key thing.

Look at pictures of working class people from 50-100 years ago. They're not fat.

Sedentary lifestyles, poor diet (i.e. one full of trans fats, sugar and carbs). And a generation of "working class" people who've never worked in their lives.

Conversely, many teenage scrotes and scallies seem to have about as much fat on them as a cold chip. Maybe it's all the weed they smoke? Perhaps someone should do a study?

No they weren't. Though plenty of wealthy people 50 -100 years ago blamed the emaciated features of the poor on being too lazy or stupid to cook themselves a proper meal.

Sometimes I think it isn't about the weight issue at all. Some people just need a scapegoat, or someone to look down on to make themselves feel better.

Edited by Mister M

Eating healthily is no more expensive and I would argue cheaper than buying crap.

It's a tired, feeble excuse that is trotted out about the cost of food being the 'cause' of obesity. I'll buy the argument that those on a lower income are maybe more likely to be obese, but that it's still down to education/being bothered to cook issues. Not cost.

Edited by perplexed

Eating healthily is no more expensive and I would argue cheaper than buying crap.

It's a tired, feeble excuse that is trotted out about the cost of food being the 'cause' of obesity. I'll buy the argument that those on a lower income are maybe more likely to be obese, but that it's still down to education/being bothered to cook issues. Not cost.

You've spent a lot of time researching the issue then?

I never said £20,000 a year equated to poverty. I said there were more poorer people than richer people illustrated by the fact there were more on £20K than £50k. Maybe I should have said 'a lot more less-well-off'

There are plenty of people on a lot less than £20,000, but I wouldn't know how the figures break down.

The average wage is supposed to be £24,000 I believe, (or is it £27,000) Either way, many people in Sheffield don't earn anything like that...

Plenty of people in Sheffield earn more than the average. In any case, £20k a year is not poverty and enough to eat healthily.

Plenty of people in Sheffield earn more than the average. In any case, £20k a year is not poverty and enough to eat healthily.

By definition 50% of people in the country earn less than average. And since the average is skewed a lot by the high wages in the M4 corridor, it's >50% in Sheffield.

20k for a family isn't a huge amount though, 2 kids and a wife to support...

You've spent a lot of time researching the issue then?

I buy food on a fairly regular basis, so somehow have become reasonably familiar with food prices strangely enough... Processed stuff is dearer.

I buy food on a fairly regular basis, so somehow have become reasonably familiar with food prices strangely enough... Processed stuff is dearer.

I have to agree. I buy fresh food, and make batches of my own recipes to store in the fridge or freezer. I also buy fruit and vegetables for meal accompaniments. This is quite a lot cheaper than buying processed food/ready meals/junk food.