Oh our poor MPs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33606908

Its good to see that our poor underpaid downtrodden MP's aren't making a mockery of the expenses isnt it?

It also seems to imply that MP's are very unfit lot as this character could even walk a mere 352 yards. I suppose thats what comes from sitting in subsidised bars all day.

Sits back and awaits the typical MP apologists replies

So who should pay for his travel expenses when he's doing his work?

Seriously?? You are asking that question for a MERE 9p? How about they set some minimum distance travel before making a claim? I should think that most sensible thinking companies have a minimum claim level so why not out illustrious leaders?

Perhaps we need to hold a whipround for them or the next live aid, after all it seems that they cant cope of the mere pittance we currently pay them!!!

Edited by alchemist

Seriously?? You are asking that question for a MERE 9p? How about they set some minimum distance travel before making a claim? I should think that most sensible thinking companies have a minimum claim level so why not out illustrious leaders?

Perhaps we need to hold a whipround for them or the next live aid, after all it seems that they cant cope of the mere pittance we currently pay them!!!

To be honest, if anything it suggests that he's very thorough with his paperwork, which if anything is a good thing.

And anyway, by the same token that it's apparently scandalous that an MP should be fussed about 9p, surely it's just as scandalous that the taxpayer (and, dare I say it the BBC) should be fussed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33606908

Its good to see that our poor underpaid downtrodden MP's aren't making a mockery of the expenses isnt it?

It also seems to imply that MP's are very unfit lot as this character could even walk a mere 352 yards. I suppose thats what comes from sitting in subsidised bars all day.

Sits back and awaits the typical MP apologists replies

This is the most disgusting expense claim I have read about. He should be proud to honour our armed service personnel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/9259142/MPs-expenses-Armed-Forces-Minister-claimed-Poppy-Day-service-mileage.html

If its ONLY 9p, why is the skinflint bothering to claim it then? He seems to think its important so why shouldnt I as a taxpayer along with other taxpayers think its important?

Because, as he says in the report, such expenses add up. That's true whether you are the recipient of the money or the one making the payment. But you are misrepresenting me, since I neither used the word "only" nor did I say that you, nor anyone should consider it unimportant.

It might be that he has hundreds or even thousands of such expenses, in which they certainly would add up. What would you prefer, that he claims 9p, or rounds it up to the nearest full mile, or nearest pound? What you should be interested in is whether it's a genuine expense or not. If so, then it is perfectly fine for him to claim it, and for you to claim as a taxpayer that he is a skinflint for doing so would be hypocritical.

MPs have done enough for us to be reasonably cynical about (such as the Remembrance Sunday claim linked to by woodmally) - being unreasonably cynical and making kneejerk responses to sensationalist stories only muddies the waters and undermines MPs doing the right thing.