Quitting alcohol, has anyone done it?

[/color]

Becks blue is pretty good as 0% beers go. it almost passes as the real thing :D

A friend of mine went to a party the other week, where he had to take his own drinks... He bought a couple of crates of Becks Blue, not knowing it was alcohol free :hihi: APPARENTLY he was really drunk and had a hangover the next day... Until someone pointed out he hadn't even been drinking :hihi:

Apparently 20 units is safe. I couldnt do that. Cutting altogether is only option. Im pretty scared of withdrawals symptons tbh.

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Currently 80-120 units per week.

In not your dad but 80-120 is downright dangerous over any length of time. You really need to cut that right down because there's a good chance that you'll be damaging your insides.

Obviously don't stop all together but drop 5-10 units a week until you get to something like 30. At least.

2 units yesterday. Feel like crapola today. Keeping on going.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 12:11 ----------

In not your dad but 80-120 is downright dangerous over any length of time. You really need to cut that right down because there's a good chance that you'll be damaging your insides.

Obviously don't stop all together but drop 5-10 units a week until you get to something like 30. At least.

Its amazing how the body adapts. One way or another.

With much of social life revolving around bars and pubs. It would be great to give up alcohol for health and financial reasons.

With out becoming a recluse or boring!

Anyone done it? Thinking about it? Or trying to cut back?:)

I'm currently still in the process of cutting back. At the height of my drinking last year, I was comfortably knocking back 1-2 bottles of wine every night, and then some weekends getting so plastered I didn't remember anything and couldn't function at all for 2 days after. I was averaging 70-80 units a week, and my health was suffering badly, as I'm sure (no disrespect intended) yours is at the level you are currently consuming.

Now I manage around 10-15 units a week, which is almost within sensible (government recommended) guidelines, but it has been far from easy.

I've replaced my favourite rose (always been my drink of choice) with de-alcoholised rose by Fre, and to be honest, that's been the best thing, because psychologically, for me at least, I still feel like I'm drinking, but I don't get the bad side effects (hangovers, vomiting) and I don't have to watch how many bottles I get through, so the guilt has gone as well.

A good way to start, in my experience, is to replace drinks with alternatives of lower ABV for a while if you can. I initially replaced bottles of wine with cans of lager, since I don't like lager as much as wine, and that prevented me drinking as much! Once you're good with the alternatives, then try either drinking one less per session, or allowing yourself the same amount, but drink only on alternate days. This way your body gets at least some recovery time.

I shall warn you, I did get withdrawal - and it was NOT easy to stick to my plan, but as with everything addiction wise, you do have to have some willpower to see it through. The symptoms weren't horrific - insomnia was the worst, as I'm not a nice person when I'm tired, and the other half really did suffer while I was cutting back in the first few months... It does ease though - I countered that specific symptom with mindfulness techniques and a few lifestyle changes in other areas. Headaches were also pretty common in the first few weeks, but they weren't crippling or anything - a couple ibuprofen sorted them out. The main withdrawal nasty, for me personally, was the irritability. I had to keep away from social situations completely on the days I had planned not to drink, as it wound me up too much, and I'd end up taking it out on friends and family.

Best advice I can give is the same as others here have stated - take it slowly. Don't be tempted to think you can cut back all at once, because you will suffer withdrawal much worse, and quick changes are very difficult to maintain. Every day you manage one less is an achievement - especially in the early days, however, try not to see the odd slip as a failure.

Exercise is also recommended, as you will soon learn (as I did) that running 5km the morning after 2 bottles of Italian Pinot is an experience comparable with death itself... You'll also feel better for having done some physical activity, and thus won't be so inclined to get so plastered afterwards (depending on your reasons for drinking of course).

Hope this helps :) Good luck! x

Apparently 20 units is safe. I couldnt do that. Cutting altogether is only option. Im pretty scared of withdrawals symptons tbh.

---------- Post added 22-07-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Currently 80-120 units per week.

Most likely that makes you an alcoholic and you need to seek help.

Most likely that makes you an alcoholic and you need to seek help.

I have thought about it and dont think so. I just have a high tolerance and drink socially.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

I'm currently still in the process of cutting back. At the height of my drinking last year, I was comfortably knocking back 1-2 bottles of wine every night, and then some weekends getting so plastered I didn't remember anything and couldn't function at all for 2 days after. I was averaging 70-80 units a week, and my health was suffering badly, as I'm sure (no disrespect intended) yours is at the level you are currently consuming.

Now I manage around 10-15 units a week, which is almost within sensible (government recommended) guidelines, but it has been far from easy.

I've replaced my favourite rose (always been my drink of choice) with de-alcoholised rose by Fre, and to be honest, that's been the best thing, because psychologically, for me at least, I still feel like I'm drinking, but I don't get the bad side effects (hangovers, vomiting) and I don't have to watch how many bottles I get through, so the guilt has gone as well.

A good way to start, in my experience, is to replace drinks with alternatives of lower ABV for a while if you can. I initially replaced bottles of wine with cans of lager, since I don't like lager as much as wine, and that prevented me drinking as much! Once you're good with the alternatives, then try either drinking one less per session, or allowing yourself the same amount, but drink only on alternate days. This way your body gets at least some recovery time.

I shall warn you, I did get withdrawal - and it was NOT easy to stick to my plan, but as with everything addiction wise, you do have to have some willpower to see it through. The symptoms weren't horrific - insomnia was the worst, as I'm not a nice person when I'm tired, and the other half really did suffer while I was cutting back in the first few months... It does ease though - I countered that specific symptom with mindfulness techniques and a few lifestyle changes in other areas. Headaches were also pretty common in the first few weeks, but they weren't crippling or anything - a couple ibuprofen sorted them out. The main withdrawal nasty, for me personally, was the irritability. I had to keep away from social situations completely on the days I had planned not to drink, as it wound me up too much, and I'd end up taking it out on friends and family.

Best advice I can give is the same as others here have stated - take it slowly. Don't be tempted to think you can cut back all at once, because you will suffer withdrawal much worse, and quick changes are very difficult to maintain. Every day you manage one less is an achievement - especially in the early days, however, try not to see the odd slip as a failure.

Exercise is also recommended, as you will soon learn (as I did) that running 5km the morning after 2 bottles of Italian Pinot is an experience comparable with death itself... You'll also feel better for having done some physical activity, and thus won't be so inclined to get so plastered afterwards (depending on your reasons for drinking of course).

Hope this helps :) Good luck! x

I average 1 a night, more at weekends. Its surprising how quickly one can adapt. Not healthy in long term however.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:04 ----------

For perspective im a 16.5 stones guy. I know females half my weight who binge drink more than i ever could or would.

Health wise its not good to drink 100 units but i feel its completely achievable to stop drinking. And did so last night despite being at a pub.

I have thought about it and dont think so. I just have a high tolerance and drink socially.

To be clear, that's 40 to 60 pints a week... So on the upper end of that scale, that's 8 pints every night of the week, or 10 pints 6 times a week.

Sounds a lot like functional alcoholism to me.

There are normally a number of things to look for (apparently) the list is as follows;

Do you have a drinking problem?

You may have a drinking problem if you...

Feel guilty or ashamed about your drinking.

Lie to others or hide your drinking habits.

Have friends or family members who are worried about your drinking.

Need to drink in order to relax or feel better.

“Black out” or forget what you did while you were drinking.

Regularly drink more than you intended to.

Tolerance: The 1st major warning sign of alcoholism

Do you have to drink a lot more than you used to in order to get buzzed or to feel relaxed? Can you drink more than other people without getting drunk? These are signs of tolerance, which can be an early warning sign of alcoholism. Tolerance means that, over time, you need more and more alcohol to feel the same effects.

More detail here

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/addiction/alcoholism-and-alcohol-abuse.htm

Yes, tolerance is a massive indicator. As a student I reached a point where I couldn't get drunk unless I hammered a liter of 30% jenever (Dutch gin) in an evening. Once I realised that, I stopped immediately, it made me realise I was drinking alcohol with the sole purpose of getting drunk.

In terms of building down, it is highly advisable to have at least two continuous alcohol free days per week, for example Monday and Tuesday. It gives your liver time to recover, once you are comfortable with that, add a day, try to get to the stage where you don't drink more than 2 days a week.

To be clear, that's 40 to 60 pints a week... So on the upper end of that scale, that's 8 pints every night of the week, or 10 pints 6 times a week.

Sounds a lot like functional alcoholism to me.

There are normally a number of things to look for (apparently) the list is as follows;

More detail here

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/addiction/alcoholism-and-alcohol-abuse.htm

Firstly thanks for your concern. However youve made a lot of assumptions without knowing any background.

Im a big guy. As previously stated. This makes a difference.

I dont drink pints. I couldnt drink 8 pints a night.

Im aware of the list and im almost clear on most points.

I admit to being less productive and less healthy when drinking regularly thats why im stopping.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:24 ----------

Sorry i overestimated units. Its actually 70-80 units. And thats regularly.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:26 ----------

Yes, tolerance is a massive indicator. As a student I reached a point where I couldn't get drunk unless I hammered a liter of 30% jenever (Dutch gin) in an evening. Once I realised that, I stopped immediately, it made me realise I was drinking alcohol with the sole purpose of getting drunk.

In terms of building down, it is highly advisable to have at least two continuous alcohol free days per week, for example Monday and Tuesday. It gives your liver time to recover, once you are comfortable with that, add a day, try to get to the stage where you don't drink more than 2 days a week.

I drank more in spurts as a student. Followed by long bouts of abstinence. The culture in uk does tend to revolve around alcohol. Breaking that cycle is tricky.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 14:29 ----------

I must say i very much enjoyed getting drunk as a student! It wasnt a problem then...