What went wrong at Firth park

I don't suppose that it is any different to most suburban shopping areas, in that, shopping habits have changed dramatically over the years. Most shoppers evidently prefer to use the more clinical environment of the hypermarkets, Meadowhalls and the White Roses than the suburban centres, or even the town centres come to that.

I think that time is also an issue. In my mother's day and to some extent, in my younger days, shopping was a bit of an expedition most days. Today I can get most of it done in a couple of hours, one day a week.

I can remember going shopping with my nan in the 50's and she would walk my legs off between different shops to save a few coppers because she always knew who was the cheaper shop for specific items. I can't see many doing that these days.

I don't suppose that it is any different to most suburban shopping areas, in that, shopping habits have changed dramatically over the years. Most shoppers evidently prefer to use the more clinical environment of the hypermarkets, Meadowhalls and the White Roses than the suburban centres, or even the town centres come to that.

I think that time is also an issue. In my mother's day and to some extent, in my younger days, shopping was a bit of an expedition most days. Today I can get most of it done in a couple of hours, one day a week.

I can remember going shopping with my nan in the 50's and she would walk my legs off between different shops to save a few coppers because she always knew who was the cheaper shop for specific items. I can't see many doing that these days.

I remember firth park being beautiful,always clean and the flower beds in the park were gorgeous.Spent hours as a kid sailing my boats on the boating lake.Always went shopping with my mum to Fredricks the pork butchers.Spencers and Watsons the other butchers.Wilds the fishmonger up the gennel just off the island.No litter no "street art" spotless .Also Wigfalls were I got my Dansett from (record player).Snellsons were up stairs was a record bar where you could listen to a record before you bought it.Went back some weeks ago after some years and the difference was amazing.It was filthy,graffiti everywhere slummy shops.No quality shops most selling cheap tack,litter everywhere.No water in the boating lake,everything run down and looking very tired.Believe me it does not give me any pleasure what so ever to knock it,I have wonderful memories of the place.On the contrary it saddens me to have witnessed such a demise in standards to a once lovely place.So very sad.