Can you see Boris Johnson or George Osborne as next PM?

If you take the blinkers off the housing issue for a minute, you might get a better view of Johnson's record: the housing is so bad because it can't keep up with the world and its dog beating a path to London. Some food for thought.

I would certainly relish GE campaigning by Boris for Tory PM, that would be bound to provide some of the best political entertainment in years, if not decades. Oh, but to see him go toe-to-toe with Farage :D

He's got a Churchill-esque quality about him that I'm not seeing in any others, of any side.

looking at it from the outside, he has done some good things. doesnt disguise the poor housing record and London at cesspit breaking levels however.

That was the trigger, not the cause.

The UK had 6 consecutive quarters of negative growth.

The US had 4

Germany had 2 despite the €Z mess

Canada had 3

Pretty much the only countries to do comparably bad or worse were the PIIGS.

The Labour government ran a large deficit before the crisis when the economy was booming. That was insane. Even Keynesians will tell you that during a boom you pay down your debt.

Also, the crisis was caused by sub-prime mortgages (money lent to people who were unlikely to be able to pay it back) primarily in the US and the UK.

Labour's FSA was in large part responsible for bringing on the global financial crisis in the first place. They also pressured our banks into running at very high leverage, so that when the housing market underwent a correction, they were screwed.

Try again.

there was 2 quarters of positive growth in 2010 - under a labour leadership. the tories took over a country in POSITIVE GROWTH thanks to labour.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth-annual

and the sub-prime mortgage issue came from the US not the US and UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 16:27 ----------

Theresa May is the one I would favour.

she looks tired, beat up. doubt she will be around in 2020.

looking at it from the outside, he has done some good things. doesnt disguise the poor housing record and London at cesspit breaking levels however.
Well, we are talking about him as a PM, and I don't know about you, but I don't live in London. So the looks he'd get would in majority be from the outside indeed.

As regards housing, re-read my post. There isn't enough room in and around London for accommodating all those who flock to it at the rate they're flocking to it. The most basic law of economics, supply and demand, does the rest: what's already there gets ever more stupidly expensive, to the point where building new in close proximity gets equally-stupidly expensive. So nobody does (but for the really rich, who these days have taken to expand their Belgravia pads underground).

If you want a fast solution to that, don't look to Boris, look to No.10. As doing anything about it would be political hara-kiri, it ain't ever going to happen, and most certainly not on the Tories' watch.

As regards London being a cesspit and full to the brim of the most miserly misers all the way up to the richest 500...when has it ever not been?

Nothing partisan about any of the above, it's just apolitical common sense.

and the sub-prime mortgage issue came from the US not the US and UK
Guess which banks traded the most in MBS products, pre-2008? To understand anything, always follow the money ;) Edited by L00b

Well, we are talking about him as a PM, and I don't know about you, but I don't live in London. So the looks he'd get would in majority be from the outside indeed.

As regards housing, re-read my post. There isn't enough room in and around London for accommodating all those who flock to it at the rate they're flocking to it. The most basic law of economics, supply and demand, does the rest: what's already there gets ever more stupidly expensive, to the point where building new in close proximity gets equally-stupidly expensive. So nobody does (but for the really rich, who these days have taken to expand their Belgravia pads underground).

If you want a fast solution to that, don't look to Boris, look to No.10. As doing anything about it would be political hara-kiri, it ain't ever going to happen, and most certainly not on the Tories' watch.

As regards London being a cesspit and full to the brim of the most miserly misers all the way up to the richest 500...when has it ever not been?

Nothing partisan about any of the above, it's just apolitical common sense.

Guess which banks traded the most in MBS products, pre-2008? To understand anything, always follow the money ;)

sorry but maybe a lot of people are sick of all the power centralised in the capital. i can envisage no 10 being less and less relevant to the rest of the UK - the regions- as time passes.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 17:03 ----------

for that reason corbyn wouldnt be a bad PM - certainly better than Boris.

Was having a wee shufty and boris and osborne are neck and neck to be next PM in 2020!

Perhaps Labour have a chance after all. Lets say one is a buffoon and the t'other unlikeable to be kind. are they really PM material.

Or does anyone think people will vote for these two?

or is anyone else coming up in the wings?

you clearly missed the fact that the labour voters of london kept voting for boris as london mayor. it says rather more about labour's choice of candidates. still a party who pick ed miliband as party leader clearly are out of touch with the voting public.

so to answer the question in the op. i can see folk voting in numbers for boris. i can't see them voting outside the city slums for any of the current labour candidates particularly corbyn.

Edited by drummonds

you clearly missed the fact that the labour voters of london kept voting for boris as london mayor. it says rather more about labour's choice of candidates. still a party who pick ed miliband as party leader clearly are out of touch with the voting public.

so to answer the question in the op. i can see folk voting in numbers for boris. i can't see them voting outside the city slums for any of the current labour candidates particularly corbyn.

says more about labours choice of candidates. much stronger this time. Sadiq Khan and tessa jowell will be two favourites to be London Mayor. goldsmith looks a strong rival though - i cant call this one.

i cant see labour getting in with corbyn, burnham would be a better option.

Edited by TJC1

Boris all the way - he is very very likeable, intelligent and electable. He is also very popular.

He's one of the very few "characters" left in British mainstream politics. Not necessarily a qualification for being PM though.

a good london mayor? many would say he did not build enough houses.

Some people say that about Sheffield Council.

A Conservative politician unpopular with readers of The Guardian? It's like the world's gone topsy-turvy! :rolleyes: