The most powerful man in politics cannot change US gun laws.

Here is an informative piece from the Economist giving the reasons why.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/06/charleston-and-public-policy

From a BBC Link 24July 2015-"If you look at the number of Americans killed since 9/11 by terrorism, it's less than 100. If you look at the number that have been killed by gun violence, it's in the tens of thousands," Mr Obama said.

Mr Obama has pushed for stricter gun control throughout his presidency but has been unable to secure any significant changes to the laws.

I agree, I`d say they are stuck with these gun laws. I think I read/heard on the news that about 90% of the US (adult) population want the gun laws to stay as they are.

It would be interesting to hear why the remaining 10% feel differnent about the gun laws.

Here is an informative piece from the Economist giving the reasons why.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/06/charleston-and-public-policy

From a BBC Link 24July 2015-"If you look at the number of Americans killed since 9/11 by terrorism, it's less than 100. If you look at the number that have been killed by gun violence, it's in the tens of thousands," Mr Obama said.

Mr Obama has pushed for stricter gun control throughout his presidency but has been unable to secure any significant changes to the laws.

Thankfully no politician, even the President can dicker around with what is contained in the US Constitution. The Second Amendment grants citizens the right to bear arms.

If any politician or President could change an amendment to suit his own personal agenda there would be no sense in having a constitution in the first place. The power to debate and add an addendum to an existing Amendment lies with the highest court in the land... the Supreme Court

There are laws already on the books that restrict ownership of certain types of weapons, who can and who cannot carry them around in public, the way to transport them, the penalty for misuse of weapons.

There are loonies and bad asses walking around, always have been, always will be. That is an accepted fact. Obama's efforts to pass laws in the hopes that they will work is like ******* against a 90 MPH wind and all it will do is inconvenience law abiding gun owners while the criminal element will just ignore them

Thankfully no politician, even the President can dicker around with what is contained in the US Constitution. The Second Amendment grants citizens the right to bear arms.

Yes thankfully, keep on killing thousands of innocent men, women and children

I agree, I`d say they are stuck with these gun laws. I think I read/heard on the news that about 90% of the US (adult) population want the gun laws to stay as they are.

It would be interesting to hear why the remaining 10% feel differnent about the gun laws.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

It looks about 50/50. Which I find surprising.

I would imagine that on the coasts 60-70% would like more & stricter gun control.